Gmail + iPhone won't update one another?

Reaction score
So with my AOL account, when I do something on my iPhone, it does it on my Mac Mail program. If I delete from iPhone, it will delete from my Mail inbox on my computer . . . and visa versa!

With Gmail, this does not happen. If I delete an e-mail from my Mac Mail inbox, it won't delete from my Gmail. So I have to delete all my Gmails AGAIN after deleting them from my computer e-mail.

I have deleted and re-set up the account many times, even going to "OTHER" under the iPhone mail settings.

Please help! Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Are you using IMAP or POP3? Only IMAP will cascade deletions I believe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS
According to Gmail's Help section, if you are running OS 1.1.3 or later, Gmail should automatically be setup in IMAP.

Cascade deletions should sync with Gmail servers, just as marking an item "read" should.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
According to Gmail's Help section, if you are running OS 1.1.3 or later, Gmail should automatically be setup in IMAP.

Cascade deletions should sync with Gmail servers, just as marking an item "read" should.
That's the case on the iPhone, but not on your Mac.
The auto-configure feature in Leopard mail still sets up as POP if I'M not mistaken.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
So that means that I have to change Mac Mail's Gmail to IMAP? I'm having the same problem as caly312.

OP
C
Reaction score
So that means that I have to change Mac Mail's Gmail to IMAP? I'm having the same problem as caly312.

It looks like that is what it means. I changed my Gmail settings to IMAP. I use the Leopard Mail program, and to do this was a little confusing. Below is a link to the instructions from Google. The key, it seems, is when setting up your account in Mail, to AVOID selecting "setup my account automatically."

Hope this prevents you from going through what I went through for a pretty simple thing.

OP
C
Reaction score
It looks like that is what it means. I changed my Gmail settings to IMAP. I use the Leopard Mail program, and to do this was a little confusing. Below is a link to the instructions from Google. The key, it seems, is when setting up your account in Mail, to AVOID selecting "setup my account automatically."

Hope this prevents you from going through what I went through for a pretty simple thing.

I forgot the link!

Apple Mail 3.0 (Leopard) - Gmail Help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.