Once again, the Lion download question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I just left the Apple Store and am sitting in a downstairs Internet cafe. My visit was to ask the following question...

"If I buy Lion here and download it to my Macbook, can I take it home and install it on three (of mine) Snow Leopard Macs?"

The answers I got were as follows...

"Yes, you can."

"No. You have to download Lion to each machine individually."

"No. You have to buy Lion for each Mac."

"Yes, you can put Lion on 5 Macs that you own, but I don't think you can use a single image."

"Can you bring the machines in?" (Haul a 27" iMac 150 miles by car one way and then carry it 1000 feet into the bottom of a mall, also one way. Then go back and get the others.)

"Why don't you just download Lion?" (Probably because it would take fourteen months on the speeds available to my area.)

"Why don't you have broadband installed? Everybody does." (!@#$%^&*)

I don't think that Apple has thought out the process whereby the fifty percent of the country who can't get decent connectivity can download massive software. Or at least they haven't shared that information with their stores.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You are in the wrong forum..

..and you can download Lion once, burn it to a DVD or put it on a Flash drive and use it up to 5 machines..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Direct quote from Lion's End User License Agreement:

Apple said:
If you obtained a license for the Apple Software from the Mac App Store, then subject to the terms and conditions of this License and as permitted by the Mac App Store Usage Rules set forth in the App Store Terms and Conditions (Apple - Legal - iTunes) ("Usage Rules"), you are granted a limited, non-transferable, non-exclusive license:

(i) to download, install, use and run for personal, non-commercial use, one (1) copy of the Apple Software directly on each Apple-branded computer running Mac OS X Snow Leopard or Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server ("Mac Computer") that you own or control;
There is no limit to how many machines you can equip with Lion. That said, downloading for each one is a bit of a hassle, so you're better off creating a bootable USB drive and using it for repeat installs.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I just left the Apple Store and am sitting in a downstairs Internet cafe. My visit was to ask the following question...

"If I buy Lion here and download it to my Macbook, can I take it home and install it on three (of mine) Snow Leopard Macs?"

The answers I got were as follows...

"Yes, you can."

"No. You have to download Lion to each machine individually."

"No. You have to buy Lion for each Mac."

"Yes, you can put Lion on 5 Macs that you own, but I don't think you can use a single image."

"Can you bring the machines in?" (Haul a 27" iMac 150 miles by car one way and then carry it 1000 feet into the bottom of a mall, also one way. Then go back and get the others.)

"Why don't you just download Lion?" (Probably because it would take fourteen months on the speeds available to my area.)

"Why don't you have broadband installed? Everybody does." (!@#$%^&*)

I don't think that Apple has thought out the process whereby the fifty percent of the country who can't get decent connectivity can download massive software. Or at least they haven't shared that information with their stores.

I think all of these questions have been answered before, but since you got such conflicting answers from the Apple Store employees here goes:

1. Yes - Provided all of the Snow Leopard Macs are capable (minimum Hardware requirement) of running Lion
2. Yes - Provided you don't actually install Lion. If you download and stop you can follow the handy directions (search on the Forums for the directions) on creating a bootable DvD or USB Drive
3. Yes - Up to 5 Macs at no additional cost
4. Yes - Installing from the bootable drive is easy and works well. I did this on my wife's MacBook. Not because I don't have highspeed internet, but to test the drive and to save 20 minutes download time. No problems and she is running Lion from that install.

HTH
Razormac

EDIT: I obviously took too long on this post

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Let's just put this thread into a more appropriate forum. ;)

Reaction score
lion hlp

You are in the wrong forum..

..and you can download Lion once, burn it to a DVD or put it on a Flash drive and use it up to 5 machines..

Hi i have downloaded Lion, but cant find it on my mac to burn to a cd, where do i find it to? Also cant get on wifi since installing lion, but internet works fine with ethernet cable. Any idea on how i can get my wifi working as good as it was with snow leopard.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi i have downloaded Lion, but cant find it on my mac to burn to a cd, where do i find it to? Also cant get on wifi since installing lion, but internet works fine with ethernet cable. Any idea on how i can get my wifi working as good as it was with snow leopard.

Since you have already installed Lion you won't find the installer on your Mac (it is automatically deleted following installation).
Apparently, you can redownload though and then you can follow the instructions in the Link contained in Discerptor's post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Has been answered many times in the forum, but just for you :)

How to Burn Your Own OS X Lion Install DVD or USB Drive

......you can follow the instructions in the Link contained in Discerptor's post.

And that ^^^^^^
As for the Wi-Fi issues, it be best if you started another thread for that question. . . .

Cheers

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am just shocked at all the wrong that Apple Store Employes told the OP. You would think they would know this. Just be sure that all the Macs are registered with Apple and have a App Store account.

The others answered the rest of your questions.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Like the new Avatar . . . when are we going to see a return of the Signature you were working on? I particularly liked the metalwork spelling Tattooed.

Thanks mate. Im at home on my back today so i should get up the motivation and do a little work on it :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Direct quote from Lion's End User License Agreement: [see above]

There is no limit to how many machines you can equip with Lion.

Yeah, but that 5 machine limit urban legend is not going to die, ever. I'm told the misconception comes from iTunes policy.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, but that 5 machine limit urban legend is not going to die, ever. I'm told the misconception comes from iTunes policy.

I promise not to repeat it ever again. ;)

Don't know where I heard the 5 machine limit. Interesting to know that it is unlimited.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I don't think that Apple has thought out the process whereby the fifty percent of the country who can't get decent connectivity can download massive software.

50%? Given actually FCC statistics, that's a bit overblown.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I promise not to repeat it ever again. ;)

Don't know where I heard the 5 machine limit. Interesting to know that it is unlimited.

The Mac App Store license states you can install MAS software on up to 5 machines in your household under one AppleID.

Considering you buy Lion from the MAS, you would assume it would have the same license as everything else you get from the MAS which is why that rumor started.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The EULA, Section 2 "Permitted License use and Restrictions", Paragraph B, Sub paragaph (i) simply says that for personal use you can instal OSX Lion on any Apple computer "that you own or control". There is no specific limit. I'd like to know where that number came from. Note that that paragraph only speaks of the App purchased form the App store. The copy you get with a new machine is only a 1 machine instal.

Further on it talks about having only 2 virtualized instances on a box, how many other computers can be remotely connected and it even says you can have a "reasonable number" of peripheral devices connected.

It's all shown in the Apps store with the Lion download. Go read it yourself. Knowledge is power.

Screen Shot 2011-07-27 at 8.11.16 PM.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
The Mac App Store license states you can install MAS software on up to 5 machines in your household under one AppleID.

No, it doesn't. Macworld has a pretty good guide to understanding the Mac App Store, and unlike the iOS App Store or the iBooks store, there is no limit to how many machines you can equip with one of your purchases from the Mac App store.

The relevant part direct from Apple is as follows:
Apple said:
MAC APP STORE PRODUCT USAGE RULES

Except as otherwise set forth herein,

(i) You may download and use an application from the Mac App Store (“Mac App Store Product”) for personal, non-commercial use on any Apple-branded products running Mac OS X (“Mac Computer”) that you own or control.

(ii) If you are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, you may download a Mac App Store Product for use by either (a) a single individual on each of the Mac Computer(s) used by that individual that you own or control or (b) multiple individuals on a single shared Mac Computer that you own or control. For example, a single employee may use a Mac App Store Product on both the employee’s desktop Mac Computer and laptop Mac Computer, or multiple students may serially use a Mac App Store Product on a single Mac Computer located at a resource center or library. For the sake of clarity, each Mac Computer used serially by multiple users requires a separate license.

(iii) Use may require sign-in with the Apple ID used to download the Mac App Store Product from the Mac App Store. Mac App Store Products can be updated through the Mac App Store only.

I think there tends to be confusion because all the rules regarding the (iOS) App Store, iTunes Store and iBookstore are in the same document.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.