What is the best Sprint service phone for syncing with Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac5, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16 GHz, 3 GB, and a similar Mac Mini, both on SL
I have Sprint phone service and want to get an updated phone. I'd like an iPhone but I've got some service bonuses with Sprint which makes the pricing right for me.

I really just started looking, coming from a basic phone, I'm considering a...
Blackberry Tour, or Blackberry Curve 8330
HTC Hero
Samsung Instinct HD

I'd really like the ability to sync the phones calendar with iCal on my Mac. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. I'll have phone service, texting, internet/email, so basically everything with 1400 minutes for $69, but will need to redo my plan for two years. Would like to send work related pictures to co-workers.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The best suggestion I can give you is look for a phone that has the features you wish - but, also comes with software to use with OS X, or at the least can be downloaded from the phone maker's web site.

Regards.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well from my searching so far it looks like the HTC Hero is not one to sync with a Mac: HTC - Search - mac

I'm leaning toward the Blackberry with what I've researched so far and it's abiltiy to sync with Macs, but would rather have the larger screen of the touch screen phone.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My son uses his Blackberry to sync with his iMac but his carrier is not Sprint. I believe he's using Verizon but it shouldn't matter since the phone is basically the same. As I said above, go with the phone that has the best Mac support.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I would love to get my hands on that HTC Hero. Android is amazing and the UI on the Hero is wonderful.

Android deals with Google. This is how I have my phone set up and I still have my calendars sync'd up nicely.

My G1 calendar syncs with the Google Calendar automatically. So any edits on the phone or online is synced. I made my iCal "subscribe" to my Google Calendars. You can set how often you want it to pull the data from Google. It is read only on the iCal but it isn't a big problem because i can just open up Google Calendar in my browser.

I hope that makes sense. It works out perfect for me.

EDIT: I was looking in the iCal preferences right now and I have the option of syncing with my Google Calendars. Enter the Google Account information and all data is now showing on my iCal. No need for subscriptions. I would definitely go with the HTC Hero if I was you.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the input. The Hero does look great. I'll look into those way of connecting the calendar and Google. I don't use Google for anything other than searching at this point. My only emails are my personal IP and at work.

One very important thing I forgot to mention was the need to sync contact vcards back and forth between the phone and my Mac Address Book and Office 08 for Mac.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My G1 calendar syncs with the Google Calendar automatically. So any edits on the phone or online is synced. I made my iCal "subscribe" to my Google Calendars. You can set how often you want it to pull the data from Google. It is read only on the iCal but it isn't a big problem because i can just open up Google Calendar in my browser.

EDIT: I was looking in the iCal preferences right now and I have the option of syncing with my Google Calendars. Enter the Google Account information and all data is now showing on my iCal. No need for subscriptions. I would definitely go with the HTC Hero if I was you.

I'll have to look into this more. But I am getting that you can't send calendar info both ways. Really what I'd like it for the phone calendar to copy my iCal, because it is in iCal that I currently write everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll have to look into this more. But I am getting that you can't send calendar info both ways. Really what I'd like it for the phone calendar to copy my iCal, because it is in iCal that I currently write everything.

Well with the second method I posted at the end you can send information both ways. Any edits in iCal will be pushed to the HTC Hero calendar.

As for the Address book, you can do the same method as iCal. Address Book gives you the option of syncing with Google Contacts. This will sync your computer contacts and phone contacts.

Just think of Google as the cloud. Android depends on Google. So any edits in Calendar and in Contacts gets pushed to Google and your computer grabs that information from the Google "cloud".

Example: I edit a phone number on my phone. My phone pushes that edit to Google. When I turn on my computer and open up Address Book it grabs that edit from Google. :)

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well with the second method I posted at the end you can send information both ways. Any edits in iCal will be pushed to the HTC Hero calendar.

As for the Address book, you can do the same method as iCal. Address Book gives you the option of syncing with Google Contacts. This will sync your computer contacts and phone contacts.

Just think of Google as the cloud. Android depends on Google. So any edits in Calendar and in Contacts gets pushed to Google and your computer grabs that information from the Google "cloud".

Example: I edit a phone number on my phone. My phone pushes that edit to Google. When I turn on my computer and open up Address Book it grabs that edit from Google. :)

Thanks. I'll look into the HTC Hero more. It is so new the guy at the Sprint store I talked to did not know anything about the methods your talking about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. I'll look into the HTC Hero more. It is so new the guy at the Sprint store I talked to did not know anything about the methods your talking about.

I just learned them myself too haha. Good thing about Android is that it is open source and on multiple phones. So even though I don't own a Hero device i can still help you with Android questions.

If you have any more questions feel free to let us know!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro

I have Sprint and when I got my BB Pearl 6 months ago, the guy at the store didn't know anything about it. They're not very knowledgeable about anything other than the phone they have in their pocket. Idiots -- Sorry for that rant. haha

BB recently released a Mac-compatible version of their desktop manager application that allows you to sync your BB with your Mac. I've used it. It works ok. *shrug* You can always take a phone home, try it out and return it within a few days if you don't like it. BB has a touch screen phone, ya know. I think it's the Storm? I don't remember.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have Sprint and when I got my BB Pearl 6 months ago, the guy at the store didn't know anything about it. They're not very knowledgeable about anything other than the phone they have in their pocket. Idiots -- Sorry for that rant. haha

BB recently released a Mac-compatible version of their desktop manager application that allows you to sync your BB with your Mac. I've used it. It works ok. *shrug* You can always take a phone home, try it out and return it within a few days if you don't like it. BB has a touch screen phone, ya know. I think it's the Storm? I don't remember.

Oh yeah forgot about that new BB DM. Storm isn't released on Sprint yet. Currently only on Verizon unless you get the phone unlocked.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.