Magic Mouse

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHZ Intel Quad-Core i7 iPhone 5 16GB, iPad 3 16GB
Is the new Magic Mouse worth getting? I recently sold my Mighty Mouse due to its sketchy scroll wheel. I really got ripped off on that mouse!! I paid $70 for it and only received $25 for it. I really do not want to get ripped off again. Anyone who does have it recommend it?

Reaction score
Is the new Magic Mouse worth getting? I recently sold my Mighty Mouse due to its sketchy scroll wheel. I really got ripped off on that mouse!! I paid $70 for it and only received $25 for it. I really do not want to get ripped off again. Anyone who does have it recommend it?

Well I just bought mine, and I will give you a list of pros and cons.

CONS:
1) Right click and left click, that's it. No middle click, no side buttons, nothing.
2) Battery life doesn't last for 4 months as advertised. I've used it for two weeks and it is down to 70%.

PROS:
1) NO MORE SCROLL BALL.
2) Multi-touch function is great, especially how I can now flip through webpages, iPhoto, iTunes, everything.
3) Ergonomically, it feels wonderful in my hands.

I would recommend it if battery life and the lack of buttons isn't a problem for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It's essentially a trackpad mouse. If that appeals to you, then go for it.

However, do not get it expecting a good return on your investment. You're not going to get anywhere close to $70 when you decide to sell it. In fact, don't expect any piece of electronics to be a good investment, their values only go down.

Reaction score
In fact, don't expect a lot of things in life to have good returns when you sell it second hand. I don't know a lot of things that actually increase with value. Unless, of course, if you bury it in your backyard for three centuries.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree with PsYkOoOoO. I really love mine but have not had it more than a few days. Battery is still at 100% using stock Energizers that came with it.

Only thing I hope they later do is add through the driver a few more gestures that will allow clicking Expose and say Dashboard. Otherwise I love it.

Reaction score
I agree with PsYkOoOoO. I really love mine but have not had it more than a few days. Battery is still at 100% using stock Energizers that came with it.

Only thing I hope they later do is add through the driver a few more gestures that will allow clicking Expose and say Dashboard. Otherwise I love it.

I personally don't understand the complaint that the new Magic Mouse does not have additional buttons to do Expose and Dashboard when you can achieve the same thing with hot corners. My Dashboard is set to the bottom left hand corner, my Spaces to the bottom right, Expose to the top left and the desktop t to the top right. I've always thought that having the functionality of setting these to the hot corners and the buttons on the mouse contradicted one another.

A few more gestures wouldn't definitely be nice, but allowing expose and dashboard is not exactly what I need. Pinch to zoom, for example, would be a welcomed gesture on my part. I think the base of the Magic Mouse grips onto the table surprisingly well, which makes doing gestures on the surface of the mouse to be very stable.

Reaction score
I installed Snow Leopard on my MacBook and love my bluetooth keyboard but my mouse does not work as advertised.I cannot seem to screen zoom, scroll or two finger swipe. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D (Penryn) 2.8 GHz 4GB RAM
Do you have, or did you have USBOverdrive installed?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also is the 10.6.2 Update installed? Another thing is run Software Update and see if anything comes down for the Magic Mouse.

Like was said, if any of USBOverdrive is even there it will stop the MM driver from working.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also besides the question I asked you above, have you opened System Preferences and Mouse? Are the options there and checked?

You will notice in System Preferences if the proper driver is installed there is a separate icon for Keyboard and Mouse.

Picture 1.jpg

Picture 3.jpg

Reaction score
I did open the system preferences and it does not give many options. I opened the mouse open and it only lets me adjust tracking speed and double click speed

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did open the system preferences and it does not give many options. I opened the mouse open and it only lets me adjust tracking speed and double click speed

Check my new post. I posted 2 pics of what System Preferences and the mouse panel should look like. Run Software Update from the Apple Menu.

In Snow Leopard 10.6.2 should be installed.

Reaction score
Thank you dtravis. I will try to run the software update. I just bought the Snow Leopard, Magic Mouse and Keyboard today and installed them. I did not try the software update. I appreciate you help and am doing it now.

Reaction score
Dtravis. My system preference looks nothing like what you posted and it only as the two options. Running the software update now.

Reaction score
Dtravis. Thank you very much. The software update fixed the probem. The zoom works perfectly and the options were in the mouse icon. I appreciate your help!!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great to hear! Was pretty sure that was the issue. Enjoy your MM!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.