This is driving me nuts! (OSX keyboard)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.0GHz, Airport Extreme, 3G iPod Nano
This is something that happens on a daily basis, and it is driving me insane.

Whenever I go to a type field on OSX, every once in a while it will fail to notice the first key that I press.

For example, let's say that I was on apple's website and decided that I wanted to navigate to "mac-forums.com." Easy enough, correct? Not so much. When I move the cursor to the address bar, there is a possibility that when I begin to enter the address, I will end up with "ac-forums.com," rather than "mac-forums.com." For some reason, the first keystroke is not recognized. Needless to say, this is very aggravating.

I've done some troubleshooting, and here are my findings:

* It is not application specific - at first, I thought it may have had something to do with Firefox. However, I've encountered the problem in iChat, Finder, and Spotlight search as well.

* It is not hardware related - This happens on any key, so it is not a loose piece on the keyboard.

* It is not a system resource issue - I have a C2D macbook, and 2GB of ram. Moreover, this occurs when I only have one application open.

* It just started recently - I don't remember having this problem until fairly recently. There are a few applications that I have installed around the time this began: Adobe Creative Suite Web Premium, Handbrake, Roxio Toast 8, and Steermouse. Think any of these may be the problem?

How can I fix this? This seems like one of those irritating issues that can only be resolved with a fresh installation of the OS. I may just wait it out until Leopard, and hopefully it will be fixed.

Thanks in advance.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
What happens if you log into a new user account?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I only have one account

Create a new one, just for testing purposes (you can always delete it later). This way, you can determine whether it's a user-specific setting issue or it's the whole OS.

That would be my first thought before I'd go to reinstall the OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Is it a wireless keyboard? If so, maybe try changing the batteries. That's all I can think of...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
I had that lag on my PB. I know what you are saying, although I don't have a specific solution, all I did was run my maintenance scripts, cleaned out old cache files, etc. Also, I checked to see what was running (activity monitor) and start-up under System Preferences->User accounts, and got rid of start-up items I did not use.

OP
vicariousgeorge
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had that lag on my PB. I know what you are saying, although I don't have a specific solution, all I did was run my maintenance scripts, cleaned out old cache files, etc. Also, I checked to see what was running (activity monitor) and start-up under System Preferences->User accounts, and got rid of start-up items I did not use.

Where can I find these maintenance scripts?

Reaction score
Okay...this little problem has inspired me to join the forum. I have been annonyed by the very same issue. I'm downloading OynX as I type and will let you know if it cleans up the problem.

Reaction score
Okay...this little problem has inspired me to join the forum. I have been annonyed by the very same issue. I'm downloading OynX as I type and will let you know if it cleans up the problem.

Tried it and it didn't work. Any other ideas out there???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
When you have moved the cursor are you actually clicking (one left click will do) before typing? The first key stroke or click 'confirms' your position (if that makes sense).

The same thing often happens when a dialog box pops up - if you don't click on one of the buttons immediately, when you position the cursor over the button you need to click twice - once to bring the button 'alive' and then once again to activate it.

OP
vicariousgeorge
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you have moved the cursor are you actually clicking (one left click will do) before typing? The first key stroke or click 'confirms' your position (if that makes sense).

The same thing often happens when a dialog box pops up - if you don't click on one of the buttons immediately, when you position the cursor over the button you need to click twice - once to bring the button 'alive' and then once again to activate it.

While I appreciate the response, it is most likely wrong. When I click in the dialog bog, text field, address bar etc, the position is "confirmed." After that, it will occasionally fail to recognize the next keystroke. Had this been the method of "confirming" that you suggested, it would happen every time as opposed to intermittently. This is most definitely a problem in the OS rather than some intentional occurrence.

Regards

Reaction score
While I appreciate the response, it is most likely wrong. When I click in the dialog bog, text field, address bar etc, the position is "confirmed." After that, it will occasionally fail to recognize the next keystroke. Had this been the method of "confirming" that you suggested, it would happen every time as opposed to intermittently. This is most definitely a problem in the OS rather than some intentional occurrence.

Regards

I can confirm that the 'confirmation' within the text entry box is correct for me also. This annoyance of missing the first character happens on a fairly regular occurrence for me. Just today it has happened a few times.
Maybe an upgrade to Leopard will fix it. I hope so!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
it happens to me often as well, i always assumed (and still do) that it is just system lag. if it's bugging you THAT much, try a fresh install. ;) i would advise reinstalling the OS every few months too keep it running tip top

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.4GHz 4Gb OCZ RAM
could it be that part of your palm is occasionally resting on the trackpad?

are you a light typer? I have problems with a few keys, mainly o t and e, mainly o, but I notice that the keys can be depressed, and still not register if you are light enough. for me, I just got to give each keypress that little bit extra oomph. plug in a USB keyboard, and it is fine sailing, until I unplug it :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro: 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo ~ 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ~ 160 GB HD ~ 15" Glossy LED Screen
Are you using a bluetooth keyboard with it or is it happening with the actual keyboard on the macbook? If you are using a bluetooth keyboard; don't bluetooth keyboards and mice go to sleep if not used after a short time? Could it just be the lag time before the keyboard "wakes up"?

Reaction score
Are you using a bluetooth keyboard with it or is it happening with the actual keyboard on the macbook? If you are using a bluetooth keyboard; don't bluetooth keyboards and mice go to sleep if not used after a short time? Could it just be the lag time before the keyboard "wakes up"?

For me...laptop keyboard on MB Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 1,1 / 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core Xeon / 5 GB RAM / OS 10.6
No. This is a VALID problem that he's not doing anything wrong. I saw it just a few days ago somewhere. I'll try to find it again and then post back here. I remember it was specifically on MBPs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.