Students locked me out file vault and key commands at startup

Reaction score
Hi

I have 2 macbooks for our studio Writhlington Studios | Recording studio, sound recording, music, recording engineer, music studio, music production, recording equipment, Radstock, Somerset

My students returned two that now ask for file vault password when I try to log in, then hint for password is dorothy

I have no idea. They have left and I don't need the data on the drive just them to work again!

The keyboard is disabled at startup so I can't start up from system disc either. Checked with USB keyboard, the same.

I have taken the memory and hard drive out and replaced. No luck.

HELP!!!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hi

I have 2 macbooks for our studio Writhlington Studios | Recording studio, sound recording, music, recording engineer, music studio, music production, recording equipment, Radstock, Somerset

My students returned two that now ask for file vault password when I try to log in, then hint for password is dorothy

I have no idea. They have left and I don't need the data on the drive just them to work again!

The keyboard is disabled at startup so I can't start up from system disc either. Checked with USB keyboard, the same.

I have taken the memory and hard drive out and replaced. No luck.

HELP!!!

Other than typing "oz" or "toto" as password (just guessing here) looks like you either need to get the passwords from your students or take the MacBooks to an Apple store.
Sounds to me like a firmware password has been set.

OP
D
Reaction score
not an option

thanks tried oz

appleshop not an option

no budget

i did read on line how to reset it with memory removed but can't find the link

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.