Ram Upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro (2009)
Hi, everyone .... I have a question regarding a RAM upgrade on my MBP. I've attached a pic of my specs, incase you need that info to help me :Oops: .

I make my MBP work quite hard by using it all day most days as a photographer, and I think It may need some help in the RAM dept. I'll have photoshop running with multiple files while shooting directly with capture one .... surfing the net / previewing old images etc and it will start running really slow and bring up the spinning wheel thing lol

I tried to research the options first but im not reaaly computer minded, but I did find an article on the net saying that your page out number on Activity monitor shouldn't really be above 10% of the page in number. Mine is 2.53gb (in) and 1.17gb (out). I think that around 45%, but not being a expert I don't know if this info is correct.

I do try to look after my MBP because its my first ever Mac and I love it lol :Cool: So I use Onyx once a month or so to try and keep things heathy, and I don't leave it permanently on / sleep ... maybe a couple of days at the most. I also use external HD's for my work so Im only using 53gb of the 500gb.

It currently has 4gb and I can get a 8gb upgrade from Crucial Memory UK for £75 ish, which I think is a really good price.

Do you think the upgrade to 8gb will help me ?

Thanks J

MBP.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
................................ OLD: MBP 13" Mid 09 .......... NEW: MBP 13" Mid 12 ..........
can you tell us what model your mac is
to do thing got to the apple, then about, then more info, and tell us what the Model Identifier is

OP
Jbob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro (2009)
Oops lol

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Here's how I determine if a RAM upgrade is needed. I open Activity Monitor, and in the main window, I choose the System Memory tab and look at Page Outs. Page Outs are when the system runs out of available RAM and has to write data to the hard drive to free up memory for other applications. They kill performance and are the best indicator IMO if an upgrade is needed. Let the system run normally for a couple of days, and check this number. If it's still zero, then you aren't running out of RAM. If it's not, you are, and should consider upgrading your RAM.

am.png

OP
Jbob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro (2009)
Here's how I determine if a RAM upgrade is needed. I open Activity Monitor, and in the main window, I choose the System Memory tab and look at Page Outs. Page Outs are when the system runs out of available RAM and has to write data to the hard drive to free up memory for other applications. They kill performance and are the best indicator IMO if an upgrade is needed. Let the system run normally for a couple of days, and check this number. If it's still zero, then you aren't running out of RAM. If it's not, you are, and should consider upgrading your RAM.

Its been a couple of days since I last shut it down and my figures are 2.53gb (in) and 1.17gb (out)

So does that mean I would benefit ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Yup... with 4GB of RAM, your system is having to write out almost 30% above that to free up space for other applications. I would recommend upgrading the RAM.

OP
Jbob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro (2009)
Thanks for clearing this up for me. I'll order the 8gb kit tonight and update when its done

OP
Jbob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro (2009)
The 8gb kit arrived this morning and what an easy job to fit !!

I've been using Photoshop CS5 this evening with some really big images, which its struggled with before. Well its opens / edits and saves them so much quicker now .. I cant believe what a difference its made, my workflow will be so much faster now.

Thanks for the help

J

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The 8gb kit arrived this morning and what an easy job to fit !!

I've been using Photoshop CS5 this evening with some really big images, which its struggled with before. Well its opens / edits and saves them so much quicker now .. I cant believe what a difference its made, my workflow will be so much faster now.

Wow...that sounds great!:) Sometimes for you "Power-User" guys working with large files in Photoshop...8 gig of ram really matters!:)

- Nick

OP
Jbob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro (2009)
I've noticed a general speed up of things and even Word (Office '08) opens super fast. It used to be so slow to open.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've noticed a general speed up of things and even Word (Office '08) opens super fast. It used to be so slow to open.

I used to use Office 2004...then upgraded to Office 2008 about 6 months ago (had the install disk laying around for a while...just lazy doing the install). And man...MS Word & Excel REALLY were opening slowly. They still open slowly...thought maybe it was just me!;)

Congrats again on the ram upgrade...and yes...it's such an easy install...it's almost crazy for anyone to pay to have it done!;)

- Nick

OP
Jbob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro (2009)
Congrats again on the ram upgrade...and yes...it's such an easy install...it's almost crazy for anyone to pay to have it done!;)

- Nick

I've never opened a computer before, so if I can do it anyone can lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.