Hard Drive Dead

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which One? Haha
Hello! I am new to this forum and was wanting to find out something about my old computer. Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place.
First off my machine:
Powerbook G4 17- aluminum
1.5GHz/512MB/80G/Superdrive

My hard drive has gone out and I am going to order a new one that is the same as the stock one and remove and install a new one. Once this is done will I need to get OSX from someone? I have a friend that is a mac programer and I can get an OSX from him. Is it hard to install? Will I be able to do this all on my own? I found a step by step video to help me remove and install a new hard drive. Is this all I need to do to make my old computer work?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Once this is done will I need to get OSX from someone? I have a friend that is a mac programer and I can get an OSX from him.

Your supposed to obtain your own OS install disk...not from a friend.

I found a step by step video to help me remove and install a new hard drive. Is this all I need to do to make my old computer work?

If all that is wrong with your old computer is a dead hard drive...yes...that is all it should take (a new HD & OS install).

Otherwise we have no "crystal ball" to know if there is something else wrong with it...so it's very hard to answer this question with 100% certainty.

Good luck,

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Nick answered all pretty much but was wondering, what symptoms does it have to tell you it's the hard drive? Just curious.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick answered all pretty much but was wondering, what symptoms does it have to tell you it's the hard drive? Just curious.

Probably a good question...ya never know!;)

- Nick

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which One? Haha
Alright i wil buy my own... Haha. Although I do have an old one 10.5.6 is that to old? The symptoms are constant grinding and clicking noise when I turn the computer on. It is right where the hard drive is on the left of the mouse pad. And also when turned on it goes strait to a grey, blue screen and does not do anything. No mouse no nothing.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The grinding for sure sounds like the drive is dead. It's sure old enough! If you let it sit on a bit does the PB ever come up with the gray screen with the Disk Icon?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Although I do have an old one 10.5.6 is that to old?

Not when you consider that the laptop is "old"...and OS 10.5.8 is the max. it can run.

The symptoms are constant grinding and clicking noise when I turn the computer on.

That does sound like a bad hard drive.

- Nick

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which One? Haha
Thanks for your help! I am already loving this forum.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which One? Haha
The grinding for sure sounds like the drive is dead. It's sure old enough! If you let it sit on a bit does the PB ever come up with the gray screen with the Disk Icon?

No. It just stays at the gray, blue screen and makes those noise.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.