iPhone "Searching..." for a minute after startup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, iPhone 5, Apple TV
I recently got a new iPhone 3G from AT&T, everything is working great however there is one thing that is annoying me whenever I turn the phone on it says "Searching..." for about one full minute before displaying full bars and carrier AT&T sign. I had my brother do the same with his 3G and his boots up shows full bars and AT&T almost immediately. I have restored my phone twice. My phone isn't jailbroken or anything like that either.

Is there something wrong with it, is there some sort of restore I am not doing? I'm not sure what's up with my iPhone. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
How often do you turn your phone off? It shouldn't really be a problem unless it is doing it all the time like during use and stuff like that.

OP
Josh_MacMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I turn it off maybe once or twice a week, its not really a big deal but I just find it really odd...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
It may just take a little longer looking for signal. Not sure why. Sorry I couldn't give you a real answer.

OP
Josh_MacMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ahh, yaknow what I just realized, my brother hasnt updates his to 3.0 yet! duh lol, hmmm maybe it is a 3.0 thing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I've actually had the same problem myself (as has my wife) since we upgraded to the 3GS. I'm not sure yet if this is a problem with the new hardware or the 3.0 software. We also haven't been getting the battery life we were expecting... it appears to be slightly shorter than what we got with the original iPhone. We happen to be in NY visiting and plan to stop by the Apple store tomorrow while in the city and see what they have to say.

OP
Josh_MacMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
***, I dont know how that post came in before yours...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
When I am in my "Home Zone" (SoCal) my phone finds the signal quickly. When I am outside of that zone my phone can take up to 5 min to acquire a signal. When you fly and travel for a living, this is just part of the game.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Aluminum unibody MBP, Intel core duo 2.4GHz proc, 4MB DDR3 RAM,
I've actually had the same problem myself (as has my wife) since we upgraded to the 3GS. I'm not sure yet if this is a problem with the new hardware or the 3.0 software. We also haven't been getting the battery life we were expecting... it appears to be slightly shorter than what we got with the original iPhone. We happen to be in NY visiting and plan to stop by the Apple store tomorrow while in the city and see what they have to say.

My boyfriend and I have been having the same problems with battery and signal. He tried turning Push off and his battery life actually got worse (???). FWIW, neither one of us ghosted our batteries when we got the 3GS. Not sure if that would have made a difference. The first couple of days I had the new one, my signal was pretty weak. It's strong now, just about everywhere, but I did once go to make a call this last week or so and found it "searching" even though I hadn't done anything to it. I had to power off and on to get it to find a signal, and even then, it took a few minutes. No problems since though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.