Reinstalling Mac OS6 via Remote for first time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air / 1.86GHz / 2 GB / Version 10.6.2
I got Mac OS 6 at end of 2009 in the MacAir.

Now, I have figured out how to do remote reinstall because MacAir doesn't have CD/DVD drive.

I followed the directions where the MacAir can access the DVD installation on ANOTHER COMPUTER.

But, how long will this installation take? I do not see any prompts or progress bars like I do for Windows or Ubuntu.

In my Mac Air, all I see is the Apple icon and below it, a rotating globe.

Now, it is restarting, where the globe is replaced by the rotating circle. It is taking a long time.

I'm really scared because I need my MacAIr to work

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I got Mac OS 6 at end of 2009 in the MacAir.

Just so there is no confusion...there actually was a "Mac OS 6" back in 1988. What you're referring to is Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard). Small details are important!;)

As far as the OS install...my first question is...what are you "remote installing" from. If the MacBook Air is the "target" computer...what computer is the "sending" computer?

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. That's a journey I'd like to forget. Fortunately I only used it a few times before we bought our first Mac with 7.1 installed.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. That's a journey I'd like to forget. Fortunately I only used it a few times before we bought our first Mac with 7.1 installed.

How about the days using a Mac Plus (single floppy drive)...when you had to have:

- 1 floppy "boot" disk
- 1 floppy "applications" disk
- 1 floppy "data" disk

...and you had to do the "floppy disk Mambo" shuffling between the 3 disks to get something done!;)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Fortunately I only did that a few times with the 512s and some of the SEs that did not have hard drives. I did it quite a bit with my Apple II GS though. 1 3.5" floppy, 1 5.25" floppy and the ungodly sum of 1.25 MB of memory. As soon as I could I spent the $600 for an internal hard drive. I think it held a whopping 40 MB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
How about the days using a Mac Plus (single floppy drive)...when you had to have:

- 1 floppy "boot" disk
- 1 floppy "applications" disk
- 1 floppy "data" disk

...and you had to do the "floppy disk Mambo" shuffling between the 3 disks to get something done!;)

- Nick

Don't forget when Microsoft Word came on SIX 3.5" floppies. That made the OS Shuffle look like child's play!

OP
jhoomjhoom
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air / 1.86GHz / 2 GB / Version 10.6.2
Just so there is no confusion...there actually was a "Mac OS 6" back in 1988. What you're referring to is Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard). Small details are important!;)

Mac OS 10.6

As far as the OS install...my first question is...what are you "remote installing" from. If the MacBook Air is the "target" computer...what computer is the "sending" computer?

- Nick

Remote install FROM Windows 7

Target is MacBook Air

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.