Who's On My Network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (2011); iPad; Black MacBook; iPhone 3GS; AirPort Extreme
Sorry in advance if this has been asked many times previously, but I'm new to a Mac (NEVER going back to Windows!). Is there a software app for Leopard that will show me who (like my neighbor) might be using my wireless router to connect to the Internet? I used my Airport Utility to export a log file which was pretty useful, but I'm looking for something a bit more intuitive and easier to use.

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
If you lock your wireless using wep or wpa(better) nobody else will be showing up as they cannot get in.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
So your Router is an Airport Extreme or other Apple router?? You want to know if anyone is trying to steal WiFi from you?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So your Router is an Airport Extreme or other Apple router?? You want to know if anyone is trying to steal WiFi from you?

Yep, I have an Airport Extreme (about 2 months old) and I'm using WPA2 with a pretty decent password. I'm also using MAC filtering. But this guy next door is a big time network guy and not overly trustworthy. So I'm very interested to see and/or track who may have been able to use my wireless router to access the 'net and go to "naughty" Internet web sites via my IP address! So I'm hoping there's a Leopard app out there that I can use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Mac OS X Software

macsniffer will give you an idea who and what are using your network

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
There are other things you can do besides have a strong password. At least on most routers, I've never used an Apple Router, you can select to not broadcast the network name. That is like have 2 passwords. The person needs to know network name and password before they can sign on.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are other things you can do besides have a strong password. At least on most routers, I've never used an Apple Router, you can select to not broadcast the network name. That is like have 2 passwords. The person needs to know network name and password before they can sign on.

I've already done that as well, but thank you. What I'm looking for is an app to tell me who's on my network and/or who's trying

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Yep, I have an Airport Extreme (about 2 months old) and I'm using WPA2 with a pretty decent password. I'm also using MAC filtering. But this guy next door is a big time network guy and not overly trustworthy. So I'm very interested to see and/or track who may have been able to use my wireless router to access the 'net and go to "naughty" Internet web sites via my IP address! So I'm hoping there's a Leopard app out there that I can use.

with wpa2, i doubt he is on your net.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
with wpa2, i doubt he is on your net.

Not unless he's cracked my password, hence the reason for my post looking for an app to show who's on my net.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
then just log onto your router and it will show you a list of everything connected.

Reaction score
I found out the 17 people were using my wireless!! It's so annoying because they can obviously access it but the connection with my mac keeps failing!!!
I've blocked their computers now. Also don't know how they accessed it because I do have security enabled on the laptop! (I didn't set the wireless up only been playing with it for the last 4 days!)

Vicki

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
edit: forget it

Reaction score
What App would show a graphic of your network?

I just replaced my Dell PC with my 1st iMac. Also have Airport Extreme up and running almost a year. But it would be great if I could see on my iMac desktop all of the wireless connections I have running, either Up or Down. Like printers, computers, iphones, and my Dishnetwork connection. I have looked for an App or a Widget, but have not found one. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just replaced my Dell PC with my 1st iMac. Also have Airport Extreme up and running almost a year. But it would be great if I could see on my iMac desktop all of the wireless connections I have running, either Up or Down. Like printers, computers, iphones, and my Dishnetwork connection. I have looked for an App or a Widget, but have not found one. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

That's exactly what I'm looking for. If I find something, l'll let you know.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I found out the 17 people were using my wireless!! It's so annoying because they can obviously access it but the connection with my mac keeps failing!!!
I've blocked their computers now. Also don't know how they accessed it because I do have security enabled on the laptop! (I didn't set the wireless up only been playing with it for the last 4 days!)

Vicki

Security for a wireless network is not set up on your local machine. It is set up on the router. Setting up a firewall on your local machine, if that is the security you're talking about does not prevent anyone from accessing an unsecured network.

For others:
Accessing the router is the place to see all the connections being made to it's network. It is the device in control. Not your local machine. The router is the device that assigns IP addresses to all the devices that are connected to it and keeps track of everything. The router is the place to look to find all devices connected. We're not talking server OS's here, but XP, Vista, OS X, etc. In order to have a piece of software that runs in your OS, it will require a piece of software that can read this info from your router and make it accessible to your local machine. For this, you will typically have to look to the manufacturer of your router to see if they produce such a piece of software for your particular OS.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Not sure about the Airport series of routers, but most routers have a summary of connected machines, which is accessible from the router's configuration webpage.

This has long been my primary criticism about the Airport routers, since they don't have that webpage, you're reliant on the Airport software. Perhaps someone that owns an AirPort router and is experienced with its operation can comment how this is done with one of them?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't found how to do that on my Time Capsule (which has the Airport Extreme). Partially for that reason, I keep my DIR-655 as the primary router and use the TC only as a bridge. Do have the TC hard wired to the D-Link at the opposite end of the house, so I'm covered with a network from each router and can easily switch between them as I move from one side of the house to the other.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For others:
The router is the place to see all the connections being made to it's network. It is the device in control. Not your local machine. The router is the device that assigns IP addresses to all the devices that are connected to it and keeps track of everything. The router is the place to look to find all devices connected. We're not talking server OS's here, but XP, Vista, OS X, etc. In order to have a piece of software that runs in your OS, it will require a piece of software that can read this info from your router and make it accessible to your local machine. For this, you will typically have to look to the manufacturer of your router to see if they produce such a piece of software for your particular OS.

Excellent explanation, thank you bobtomay. :) So what I need to find is an app that can access my router. Given that it's an Airport Extreme, then I suppose Apple is my primary source. Until then I'll just keep exporting the Airport's log file to text, then opening in Excel, then VLOOKUP to a table listing all known MAC addresses (as I've been doing). I was just hoping an app would do this for me. :)

Thanks again all, happy New Year!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.