Tech Specs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM 2x2GB 500GB Serial ATA Drive 7200 rpmSuperDrive
If Apple was going to come out with an iPad Tablet Pro or 2nd or 3rd gen, what would it be and look like? What do you want? What would you want the tech specs be? This is what I imagine.

Tech Specs:

Size and weight
Height: 12.8"
Width: 8.94"
Depth: 0.76"
Weight: 3 lbs

Display
13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy (antiglare optional) Widescreen Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi)
Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously

Processor and Memory
1.86GHz or 2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 6MB on-chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speed
1066MHz frontside bus
2GB of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM onboard

Storage and Capacity
120GB 4200-rpm Serial ATA hard disk drive or 128GB solid-state drive2
Optional external USB iPad SuperDrive

Graphics and video support
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory3
Extended desktop and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors
Built-in iSight camera
Mini DisplayPort

Battery and power4
Integrated 40-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery
45W MagSafe Power Adapter with cable management system
MagSafe power port or USB to computer system

Input and output
USB port
30-pin dock connector
3.5-mm stereo headphone jack
Built-in speaker
Microphone
SIM card tray (Wi-Fi + 3G model only)

Wireless and cellular
Wi-Fi model
Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
Built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) wireless technology
Wi-Fi + 3G model
Built-in AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi wireless networking4 (based on IEEE 802.11n specification); IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible
UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
Data only2
Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
Built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) wireless technology

Sensors
Accelerometer
Ambient light sensor

What would you want?

OP
s6nculve
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM 2x2GB 500GB Serial ATA Drive 7200 rpmSuperDrive
Really, cause it isn't. Read it, and compare it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well get a mod to rename your topic title. It's very misleading. People would think it as V1 ipad specs and not your dream specs for version 2 or 3 or whatever.

And all of your specs are almost an imac in quality. And I don't think Apple will make an ipad of that high specs for a long time to come.

OP
s6nculve
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well get a mod to rename your topic title. It's very misleading. People would think it as V1 ipad specs and not your dream specs for version 2 or 3 or whatever.

And all of your specs are almost an imac in quality. And I don't think Apple will make an ipad of that high specs for a long time to come.

I gave a description, right. Did you even read it? That's why it's there, to clarify. The hardware is from the MacBook Air, not the iMac. The MacBook Air is close to the iPad Tablet in dimension. That's why I chose its hardware. Anyway, i don't want to argue. I just want input. Thanks though, I will choose my topic name more carefully next time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
"And all of your specs are ALMOST an imac in quality"
Means close and not equal to an imac.
And I did read your comments as you did mine. There is no need to get snappy at me.

But I do agree with your basic principle in your original post. I think the MBA is a really bad idea. So expensive for what it delivers. I think they should delete the MBA and just have a ipad+ with something like the specs you are talking about. The MBA was made with thin-ness in mind and heck you can'y get thinner then an ipad.

So discontinue MBA and replace with ipad version 2 or something.

C

chas_m

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but as v1 isn't out yet perhaps this could be seen in some quarters as jumping the gun just a teeny tiny bit?

Might one reasonably expect that one should actually try one in their own hands before deciding it even NEEDS a "2nd gen"?

I mean, look at the iPhone. In the past three years, it has gotten no serious hardware change at all. It gained a bit of faster/better on the cpu, storage capacity and camera, but really that's almost it. A brand new iPhone today is incredibly similar-looking to an original. The reason is that Apple got the design right in the first place.

They certainly seem to feel the same way about the iPad, and it's VERY VERY clearly intended as a consumer device, so I'm thinking your hopes for a iPad Pro are as likely as an iPod Pro.

Anyway, an "iPad Pro" as you describe it has existed for years now; its called a ModBook, and there's a reason more people here (or any people here, now that I come to mention it) don't own one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know and makes me wokder. WHy Jobs did not market the ipad more at professionals. Cause I know so many industries that could use an ipad so well. And half of those already use ipad touch or iphone now to help their business or make how they operate so much better. So strange that Jobs did market it as a purely consumer device.

C

chas_m

I know and makes me wokder. WHy Jobs did not market the ipad more at professionals.

Because those are the people who SHOULD have laptops. The iPad is **not** intended to replace laptops, or even netbooks*.

*netbooks will die on their own because they're largely crap. No help from the iPad needed.

So strange that Jobs did market it as a purely consumer device.

Not really. Think about what the iPhone came with (and what it did for seven months before the App Store came around) compared to what it can do now.

LOTS of companies in specialty and vertical high-end markets use the iPhone as a platform for apps. A few examples from the medical profession (1544 apps and counting) are detailed here.

There is little doubt that the iPad gives them even MORE to work with than the iPhone does, but the point is that the iPhone turned out to be no barrier at all to such professional uses, even though the iPhone is marketed NOT as a computer, but as a smartphone with an iPod included.

The iPad IS a consumer device. In a huge number of professions, third-party software will easily make it into a "professional" device for their vertical-market needs. Thanks to its "ubiquitous internet," the things people claim are barriers (no external storage, for example) are simply non-issues. The "cloud" will expand to accomodate most, if not all, of the concerns people think they have, same as the iPod overcame objections, same as the iPhone overcame objections.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 inch/iPhone 3G
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but as v1 isn't out yet perhaps this could be seen in some quarters as jumping the gun just a teeny tiny bit?

Might one reasonably expect that one should actually try one in their own hands before deciding it even NEEDS a "2nd gen"?

I mean, look at the iPhone. In the past three years, it has gotten no serious hardware change at all. It gained a bit of faster/better on the cpu, storage capacity and camera, but really that's almost it. A brand new iPhone today is incredibly similar-looking to an original. The reason is that Apple got the design right in the first place.

They certainly seem to feel the same way about the iPad, and it's VERY VERY clearly intended as a consumer device, so I'm thinking your hopes for a iPad Pro are as likely as an iPod Pro.

Anyway, an "iPad Pro" as you describe it has existed for years now; its called a ModBook, and there's a reason more people here (or any people here, now that I come to mention it) don't own one.

I agree with Chas. The first iPad hasn't even come out so let's wait and see what it can do especially when developers create apps for it. As for the specs it sounds like you want the iPad to be a laptop computer but in a tablet form.

Steve Jobs made it clear that is not what the iPad was designed for. Apple already has great laptops. Granted they are a bit on the expensive side but if you want the functionality of a laptop then you'll have to pay for it.

The iPad will not be something for everyone and given today's technology I can't see how an iPad could be made to fit your specs and keep a similar form factor without the weight issues and battery issues that laptops have now.

OP
s6nculve
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

No, I am not saying there is a need for a iPad 2nd gen or that the iPad is not good enough for me. But I believe there will be a iPad 2nd gen. I am saying that I want and need a iPad Tablet with with more processing power than 1GHz and capacity than 64G.

Because those are the people who SHOULD have laptops. The iPad is **not** intended to replace laptops, or even netbooks*.

*netbooks will die on their own because they're largely crap. No help from the iPad needed.

The iPad Tablet is competitive with netbooks, E-readers, and PC tablets. Netbook are cheap, light, and portable. If you travel like myself, it is more useful than a laptop. I plan to use the iPad Tablet at work constantly. The business world has a place for it.

In a huge number of professions, third-party software will easily make it into a "professional" device for their vertical-market needs.

True, and the iPad Tablet has great potential as a "professional device." But the hardware is not there. If Apple wants the iPad Tablet to be more than competitive with netbooks, E-readers, and PC tablets; then Apple needs to open the iPad Tablet to the business world and offer more power.

But I do agree with your basic principle in your original post. I think the MBA is a really bad idea. So expensive for what it delivers. I think they should delete the MBA and just have a ipad+ with something like the specs you are talking about. The MBA was made with thin-ness in mind and heck you can'y get thinner then an ipad.

So discontinue MBA and replace with ipad version 2 or something.

I completely agree. The iPad Tablet could be modified slightly with the technology of the MacBook Air. O, and the8thark are you female? You sound cute :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I completely agree. The iPad Tablet could be modified slightly with the technology of the MacBook Air. O, and the8thark are you female? You sound cute :Oops:

I agree with you totally on all points. But I'm not female. I'm an Aussie guy. It's so hard to tell these days, I'll admit that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha well said.

I just meant s6nculve guessed I was a female. And I'm not. It's hard to tell if a someone online is male or female. That's all. Do we need a Mac-Forums "personal ads" section? "A M-F person is seeking love" etc. Haha! Maybe we just do.

C

chas_m

No, I am not saying there is a need for a iPad 2nd gen or that the iPad is not good enough for me. But I believe there will be a iPad 2nd gen.

Well, yes, eventually there will be. But again: look at the iPhone. It's "generational" changes have been just housekeeping stuff; they haven't changed the design one whit.

If you've figured out a way to expand the iPad's capabilities to the laundry list posted while keeping it the same weight, physical dimensions and price, you should be calling Apple immediately.

I am saying that I want and need a iPad Tablet with with more processing power than 1GHz and capacity than 64G.

How do you know this? Did you not watch the keynote? I did, and I saw things that my 2.16GHz Core2Duo would have a VERY hard time doing as quickly. Don't go by the rated speed of the processor; watch what it is actually asked to do in the demos and then watch the real-time response. That chip Apple created is augmented with some very powerful "helpers" that make 1GHz go a LOT further than I've ever seen 1GHz before, and I'm not alone; a friend of mine in Colorado works for [unnamed PC chip maker] as a chip *designer,* and is DYING to find out more about that chip, specifically what alterations Apple made to it. If *he* doesn't know how the A4 is doing what its doing, you probably don't either.

As for storage, I think again most people are waaaay misunderstanding how this device will be used, and more importantly forgetting about the concept of "ubiquitous internet," "the cloud" and "automatic sync" in more or less that order. Storage did not stop the iPhone from changing its entire industry, and it pays to remember that Apple hit its sales goal of 10M units before there was a model that had larger than 8GB capacity.

I have a 4GB original model iPhone myself, which has 200 songs, 2 movies, 4 TV shows, a half-dozen video podcasts, a few dozen audio podcasts, a couple hundred photos, nearly 100 apps and all but the apps get automatically changed out every time I charge/dock it. If I was going to Bora Bora for a month I'd probably want more storage, but so far I haven't even felt the need for 8GB yet, and I do cross-continent trips on a fairly regular basis. I guess I'm just not one of those people who needs every bit of media they've ever owned on me at all times. Indeed, apart from using it as phone and boredom-killing device, the main thing I do with my iPhone is record interviews. So I may not be your typical user, but the point stands; I think given how it will actually be used in practice, 64GB will probably prove to be excessive for at least the first few years.

The iPad Tablet is competitive with netbooks, E-readers, and PC tablets.

Well I think there's little doubt that e-readers will have to radically change or die, so I wouldn't call that competition. As for the other two classes, perhaps in some way it does compete, but on the whole I think the iPad is aimed at people who didn't want netbooks and didn't want tablet PCs, which makes me think you don't quite "get" what Steve and co. were talking about when they described it (correctly) as a third category.

If Apple wants the iPad Tablet to be more than competitive with netbooks, E-readers, and PC tablets

Yeah, I think that's definitely where you're going wrong.

A reminder: both the iPhone and (even more so) the iPod were underpowered and overpriced compared to their competitors on introduction. They conspicuously failed to flop in the face of "superior" alternatives.

Given that Apple has pulled this same trick off twice before, I can't help but think they may -- just perhaps -- know what they're doing here. :)

OP
s6nculve
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, yes, eventually there will be. But again: look at the iPhone. It's "generational" changes have been just housekeeping stuff; they haven't changed the design one whit.

The iPad Tablet is not an iPhone. It is a device in a category between a iPhone and a MacBook. You are looking only at one of its "parents." Yes, the iPhone has not changed much but the MacBook has. With the MacBook, MacBook Air, and Macbook Pro; There is much change.

If you've figured out a way to expand the iPad's capabilities to the laundry list posted while keeping it the same weight, physical dimensions and price, you should be calling Apple immediately.

No, what I did was make the iPad Tablet 3.24'' longer, 1.46'' wider, 0.26'' thicker, and 1.5 lbs heavier. Which would be a good thing because you would have a larger screen to play with, a powerful processor and drive, a graphics processor, room for a USB port, lager battery, and more.

How do you know this? Did you not watch the keynote? I did, and I saw things that my 2.16GHz Core2Duo would have a VERY hard time doing as quickly. Don't go by the rated speed of the processor; watch what it is actually asked to do in the demos and then watch the real-time response. That chip Apple created is augmented with some very powerful "helpers" that make 1GHz go a LOT further than I've ever seen 1GHz before, and I'm not alone; a friend of mine in Colorado works for [unnamed PC chip maker] as a chip *designer,* and is DYING to find out more about that chip, specifically what alterations Apple made to it. If *he* doesn't know how the A4 is doing what its doing, you probably don't either.

Yes, I watched the keynote. I also saw it was using a 1GHz Apple A4 chip, and not a 1.86GHz or 2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor. Which is superior in every way except in power conservation. As I stated above, a larger dimension means a larger battery.

As for storage, I think again most people are waaaay misunderstanding how this device will be used, and more importantly forgetting about the concept of "ubiquitous internet," "the cloud" and "automatic sync" in more or less that order. Storage did not stop the iPhone from changing its entire industry, and it pays to remember that Apple hit its sales goal of 10M units before there was a model that had larger than 8GB capacity.

I understand that the iPad Tablet as of right now is a consumer device. But it has potential as a professional device. As I said before I watched the keynote and saw it was using 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB flash drive. That is the same as the tiny iPod, weak. Again, a 120GB 4200-rpm Serial ATA hard disk drive or 128GB solid-state drive is superior in every way. Plus with the dimensions I gave, you could have a 9400M graphics processor.

Well I think there's little doubt that e-readers will have to radically change or die, so I wouldn't call that competition. As for the other two classes, perhaps in some way it does compete, but on the whole I think the iPad is aimed at people who didn't want netbooks and didn't want tablet PCs, which makes me think you don't quite "get" what Steve and co. were talking about when they described it (correctly) as a third category.

Yes I agree, Ereaders will have to radically change or die. The Ereaders are weak. They are cheap, singal purpose devices. In the keynote Jobs said that in the PC world netbooks are the crapy devices in between a smart phone and laptop. But the iPad Tablet would change that for the better. The iPad would be that in between, so that makes me think you don't quite "get" what Jobs and Apple are saying. With the LifeBook T4310, Armor X10, Samsung Q1UP-V, and many more aiming at killing the iPad Tablet maybe Apple should just keep the hardware the same. Yeah, makes alot of sense.

As a Apple customer I am only saying I want options with the iPad Tablet. Maybe have a iPad as a consumer device and Create a "iPad Pro" as a professional device. I know I am not the only one who wants a iPad Tablet with more, geared toward the business world.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I don't have an iPad yet either (but intend to get one when they come out) and honestly don't know enough about the technicalities involved to have an informed opinion (but that doesn't seem to stop most people so why should I be an exception).

What I think would be ideal would be a pro version of the iPad (If they build it I will buy one) that is essentially a MB Air without the keyboard and uses a version of the iPhone OS as the front end. I would also like a dedicated App that brought up OSX as a virtual machine or maybe the iPhone OS would run in virtual mode (regardless, I don't honestly know enough about this to say how to do it).

Bottomline: the iPad Pro would act just like a regular iPad until I hit the OSX button or dropped it into its dock, at which point I could use a wireless keyboard and have full MacBook functionality. For that matter, you could even offer an external superdrive with a dock connector for the iPad Pro to sit in.

OP
s6nculve
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have an iPad yet either (but intend to get one when they come out) and honestly don't know enough about the technicalities involved to have an informed opinion (but that doesn't seem to stop most people so why should I be an exception).

What I think would be ideal would be a pro version of the iPad (If they build it I will buy one) that is essentially a MB Air without the keyboard and uses a version of the iPhone OS as the front end. I would also like a dedicated App that brought up OSX as a virtual machine or maybe the iPhone OS would run in virtual mode (regardless, I don't honestly know enough about this to say how to do it).

Bottomline: the iPad Pro would act just like a regular iPad until I hit the OSX button or dropped it into its dock, at which point I could use a wireless keyboard and have full MacBook functionality. For that matter, you could even offer an external superdrive with a dock connector for the iPad Pro to sit in.

Did you read the whole thread? It doesn't seem like you did, because the community already covered everything you just said. It is alright, I will get you a little caught up.

The Tech Specs post I gave on the very first post, the hardware was from the MacBook Air. The iPad Pro would be 3.24'' longer, 1.46'' wider, 0.26'' thicker, and 1.5 lbs heavier than the iPad. But have a beautiful 13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy (antiglare optional) Widescreen Multi-Touch display, a 1.86GHz or 2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, a 120GB 4200-rpm Serial ATA hard disk drive or 128GB solid-state drive, a 9400M graphics processor, a larger integrated 40-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery, and more.

OS X Snow Leopard as a virtual machine is a bad idea. Virtual machine's are taxing on their hardware. But OS X Snow Leopard modified and integrated as a Multi-touch OS would be powerful. OS X Snow Leopard is superior to iPhone OS 3.2 in every way.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Actually I did read the posts

Essentially all I was doing was agreeing with you . . . or at least that was my intention. What I would like to eventually see is a device that has the power of a laptop, but the same ease of use and carry-around functionality that I expect to get out of my new iPad (once I get my hands on one).

As far as how to actually implement it, virtual machine whatever, not my area of expertise--I just want it to work without me having to necessarily understnad the underpinnings.

OP
s6nculve
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Essentially all I was doing was agreeing with you . . . or at least that was my intention. What I would like to eventually see is a device that has the power of a laptop, but the same ease of use and carry-around functionality that I expect to get out of my new iPad (once I get my hands on one).

As far as how to actually implement it, virtual machine whatever, not my area of expertise--I just want it to work without me having to necessarily understnad the underpinnings.

I completely agree with you Razormac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.