iphone users...are you happy with the service?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" ibook G4 1.42GHz PowerPC, 60GB HDD, 1.5GB Ram, OS X 10.5.8
Hey guys, I have been thinking of getting the iphone for a few days now. I like the idea of "compatibility" with my Mac. However, I haven't heard a whole lot of good reviews regarding AT&T's 3G service and coverage. I live in So Cal, I do not have a land line (really, what's the point these days). I currently have Verizon and the new Droid. I have to say the service has been great! Just though I'd ask around in here, assuming a great majority of you are iphone owners. Are you happy with your service/coverage from AT&T?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I don't have an iPhone exactly because it's only on AT&T. Not every time, but too many times when I send a photo to an iPhone user, it arrives the next day or hours later. This has never happened when sending photos to any other phone. Many places get fine reception, but friends tell me that in many areas of SF and NY and other places, the reception is terrible. I have never had an issue with Verizon anywhere I've traveled. If you live in a place that has good AT&T service and you don't plan on leaving the area at all, I guess I'd say go for the iPhone. If you travel, I'd say at least get a prepaid phone on another carrier just in case.

M

MacInWin

I get great service in the Washington, DC metro area. I dropped Verizon because they had lousy service everywhere I went, whereas AT&T has great coverage in those same places.

There is no one answer to your question. It depends on where you are and how well the infrastructure is populated on the network in mind.

F

fade

Spag, I cant answer about the iphone because I've never had one... been on Verizon for 10 years. If you don't mind me going off topic a bit. Do you connect the droid to your mac? and if so, do they play well together?

OP
Spag_187
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The connection between the two has been a pretty decent experience. I downloaded a program called "DoubleTwist" which allows the Mac to sync with the android OS. However, this application is mostly used for media (photo's, music). It's a simple drag-n-drop app. Syncing the address book/contacts as well as Outlook can be done through google.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'm in Dallas, personally I LOVE the phone, and I hate AT&T. Service is subpar to say the least, and the way they treat their customers in my opinion is horrific. If they didn't have the iPhone I would personally never think of joining them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Service for me with the first iPhone and the 3G iPhone was great in Peoria and Bloomington Illinois. It's terrible here in Minneapolis Minnesota. Lot's of dropped calls and spotty 3G bandwidth, even though the whole city is a big 3G spot according to AT&T's coverage map.

OP
Spag_187
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm hearing rumors of Verizon and Apple working on a 4G iphone. That would be awesome. I'm so nervous about making the switch to AT&T. I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope to see the iphone become a new addition to Verizon's line-up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: 13" white MacBook | 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB RAM |250GB HDD
It's cool that you're considering the switch. I'd Google for "AT&T coverage in <your city here>", or something like that. Or check some of the iPhone forums & post your question there.

I live in the Tampa Bay area, and have great AT&T coverage for voice, nothing but 3G service for data. But, I travel to see family in SE Ohio, maybe 45 minutes outside Columbus, and get super slow Edge, and piddling signal strength. As I spend 95% of my time in or around Tampa Bay, I'm good to go. But if I did lots of traveling or lived elsewhere it'd definitely be an issue for me.

I haven't used AT&T's customer service much (only been a cust. since July), so I can't comment on that facet of your experience.

Good luck, hope you turn up the right answers, for the iPhone - Mac combo is indeed outstanding. :Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Exactly what part of SoCal are you in? I'm in Orange County and AT&T service is great here.

However, since you already have a great phone and great service, why would you want to switch? Not counting the sync features, there's really nothing better about the iPhone compared to the Droid, they're both fantastic phones.

As for the 4G rumors, it's going to be a long time before you can expect an LTE iPhone. There is speculation of a Verizon iPhone released over the summer, but it's more wishful thinking than anything. The Droid is a very capable phone, stick with it and Verizon. If an iPhone comes out on Verizon this summer and you really want it, then go for it, but don't switch to AT&T just so that you can get slightly better sync options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
It's terrible here in Minneapolis Minnesota. Lot's of dropped calls and spotty 3G bandwidth, even though the whole city is a big 3G spot according to AT&T's coverage map.

I can confirm Minneapolis area sucks. Love the phone though :)

OP
Spag_187
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Exactly what part of SoCal are you in? I'm in Orange County and AT&T service is great here.

However, since you already have a great phone and great service, why would you want to switch? Not counting the sync features, there's really nothing better about the iPhone compared to the Droid, they're both fantastic phones.

As for the 4G rumors, it's going to be a long time before you can expect an LTE iPhone. There is speculation of a Verizon iPhone released over the summer, but it's more wishful thinking than anything. The Droid is a very capable phone, stick with it and Verizon. If an iPhone comes out on Verizon this summer and you really want it, then go for it, but don't switch to AT&T just so that you can get slightly better sync options.

I think your right on this one. I'm just all excited about the recent switch to Mac and all I've got is Apple, Apple, Apple on the brain. So far, the Droid has been an excellent devise. Thanks for all your input guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Aluminum unibody MBP, Intel core duo 2.4GHz proc, 4MB DDR3 RAM,
I get great service in the Washington, DC metro area. I dropped Verizon because they had lousy service everywhere I went, whereas AT&T has great coverage in those same places.

There is no one answer to your question. It depends on where you are and how well the infrastructure is populated on the network in mind.

On the flip side of the coin, I also live in the DC metro area and get lousy coverage with AT&T, whereas, when I had Verizon, I had fantastic coverage. Both of my roommates have the same issues I do with their iPhones as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch
I don't have an iPhone, but for what it's worth, I have two friends and two family members who have them.

My two friends both complain about the reception, but they have determined that it is not AT&T but Apple's fault. They say that even when they have full signal strength, the audio is not clear. Seems like it is a better mini computer than it is a phone.

I talk to my sister on hers all the time, and she is cutting in and out every time too.

My one buddy finally had his iPhone lock up on him after he tried updating an App, and got rid of it in favor of a Motorola Droid, which he says is a much better phone, but with nowhere near the apps of the iPhone.

I used to be pretty hot for an iPhone, but I think I'll hold off and maybe just stick with a basic phone and maybe get an iPad when that time comes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Aluminum unibody MBP, Intel core duo 2.4GHz proc, 4MB DDR3 RAM,
I actually wonder if it's the 3G service compatibility. When I turn off 3G and switch to Edge, my call quality is stellar. This leads me to believe it's not necessarily the phone, but maybe an issue with the phone and 3G together? I have to be honest, AT&T's 3G is fast, when you can use it. And I have not heard of AT&T Blackberry users having the same problems.

However, I'm married to my iPhone, so I just put up with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBPro (mid 2009) 3.06Ghz 8GB RAM 500MB 7200RPM NVIDIA GeForce9400GT 512MB RAM
I have a factory unlocked iPhone that I use globally (currently sitting at a hotel in Phuket with a DTAC SIM card in it). I recommend this option if possible. AT&T is miserable compared to most of the providers I use in various parts of the world.

BTW, just to be clear, AT&T BB users do have a problem with crappy signal. I had a company provided BB at my previous job and the rise of the iPhone killed what used to be good speed and signal strength. I also currenly have a BB Tour on Verizon (work phone) and pretty much every location I travel to in the US strongly favors that VZ phone service. I have executed multiple speed tests over time comparing the two and there is no doubt that AT&T is faster when the 3G signal is solid but there is also no doubt that VZ is far superior on average.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
For all those with 3G phones experiencing cut outs on calls, I would encourage you to give a try turning off 3G except when you need data.

In our use of the 1st gen iPhone for 2 years, it was an excellent phone. Here in Dallas, neither of us ever experienced a single dropped call or any cutting in and out that we can remember. It was not so great on the data side. Especially for things like going online to compare Amazon pricing before a purchase while standing in a brick and mortar store. Frankly, it sucked.

The 3GS, we both experience dropped calls. My wife can't even receive a call on the thing sitting at her desk at work half the time, while browsing with Safari is a non-issue. Like someone to explain that one to me. But anyhow, we use both phones now with 3G turned off and we're back to the same great phone service we had with the 1st gen and only turn the 3G on when we're using Safari. Not a great solution, but not that bad either. Give it a try, may work for you also.

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been thinking of getting the iphone for a few days now. I like the idea of "compatibility" with my Mac. However, I haven't heard a whole lot of good reviews regarding AT&T's 3G service and coverage. I live in So Cal, I do not have a land line (really, what's the point these days). I currently have Verizon and the new Droid. I have to say the service has been great! Just though I'd ask around in here, assuming a great majority of you are iphone owners. Are you happy with your service/coverage from AT&T?
I lived in the Valley and didn't really have any problems (except when driving over the hill on the 405.)
Im in NYC and it really does suck. I work at a Whole Foods and go downstairs to the employee area. EVERYONE else has cell phone coverage but iPhone users do not. But here, it is mainly Verizon and T-Mobile towers. I remember calling 611 for customer service and getting a hold of T-Mobile (no joke!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
I'm a long time experienced mobile communications & computing enthusiast & advocate. In addition I'm an early adopter that chooses to embrace & find the positive in each and every platform. I maintain three lines, one each with AT&T, T-Mobile & Verizon. I've been using various smartphones since the category was created. My advice to friends is to choose the service _first_, not the phone. Reason being obvious, all to often the cellular companies take the blame when the reality is they cannot all have perfect connectivity in all areas. Its the nature of mobile communications. Also there is compatibitlity issues that surface more with certain phones than others on the various carriers. I have enjoyed excellent service from all three companies. Yet that said I've also established a reasonable set of expectations as to where their best areas are. After all at the end of the day a cell phone is only as good as the signal it receives _and_ the quality of the phone module in your smartphone.
AT&T:
I've had fast consistent 3G service from them using all different brands of smartphones. Here's my take on the "complaints" regarding AT&T & the iPhone (I'm currently using an iPhone 3Gs). First I believe that the iPhone is a fantastic "pocket computer" with a marginal phone module. I'm not being critical of Apple, I love their products. But the focus was put on the mutlimedia experience, not the phone call quality. So that's one reason for dropped calls and poor clarity. My 3G BlackBerry Bold 9000 is super clear with a great phone module and fast internet. Yet BlackBerrys as you know have poor browsers & smaller displays. So there's an example of two different experiences on the same 3G network. To AT&T's credit, they are expanding the network to compensate for the extra demands placed on them by the huge numbers of iPhones now on the system. I love my iPhone.
Verizon:
Another good service. My Droid is fantastic, a lot of fun and pretty impressive for a new platform. This combo of phone and network is very good.
T-Mobile:
Bery good service limited only because they are the smallest company with the fewest towers. Yet in strong areas they are great. Pricing is always the best as they compensate for weaker areas by offering the lowest pricing. Presently I'm using a My Touch on their network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.