iPad 2's on Craig's List Already!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well only hours after the iPad2 release...I'm already seeing iPad 2's showing up on Craig's List...at highly exaggerated prices!!!:(

I'm seeing $499 16gig Wifi models with asking prices of $750...and $699 64 gig Wifi models with asking prices of $950 to $1000.

On one hand I'm thinking that these folks are really ripping potential buyers off. But then on the other hand I'm thinking that most buyers are pretty well informed as to the prices Apple is charging, so if they're over-paying for these iPad's...they're doing it consciously.

- Nick

p.s. Not exactly your "normal" B/S/T thread...but figured since Craig's List was being discussed it belonged here.:) Or maybe it belongs in "Anything Goes".

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
people steal all manner of things. when Call Of Duty black Ops came out, my local second hand shop had about 40- 50 of them around a week before release time.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
people steal all manner of things. when Call Of Duty black Ops came out, my local second hand shop had about 40- 50 of them around a week before release time.

Yeah...I know what you're saying.;) It was the same way with:

- iPhone 3 & 4's
- iPad 1.0's
- PS3's when they first came out
- etc. etc.

iPad 2.0's are just the "gizmo" of the moment folks are trying to make some money on. But again...it's not like most potential buyer's don't know that they're paying way above Apple's price.

So if a buyer is willing to pay the premium price...I guess they shouldn't be angry with the buyer' asking price (since they could always buy via Apple...they just may have to wait a while).

- Nick

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i would never buy anything like this from a dodgy back street seller. anyone willing to pay 1000$ for an ipad via craigslist, privately, isn't right in the head to be honest. they obviously havent added 2+2 together...

he has an ipad 2 - they are not released yet - double Apples price - selling privately?

all suspicions point to theft.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i would never buy anything like this from a dodgy back street seller. anyone willing to pay 1000$ for an ipad via craigslist, privately, isn't right in the head to be honest. they obviously havent added 2+2 together...

he has an ipad 2 - they are not released yet - double Apples price - selling privately?

all suspicions point to theft.

In this case (in the United States where the iPad 2 is released & available)...there's really nothing "criminal" or "dodgy" going on. Just supply & demand...stores don't have enough inventory...and there are some folks that just have to have it today...so they pay the premium price.

But if we're talking international...where some countries the iPad 2 isn't released yet...that is also where people in the US are trying to sell to folks internationally at higher prices via e-Bay.

In this thread I'm mostly talking about Craig's List in the United States...and how quickly people are posting iPad 2's for sale...at higher prices. In the US (where the Apple Stores have some inventory...or you can order online & have to wait 2-3 weeks for delivery)...it seems silly to over-pay for an iPad 2.

But internationally (where the release of the iPad 2 may be months away)...I can see some folks with a lot of money (or just want one NOW)...are willing to pay higher prices (or wait months).

- Nick

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ahh i see, i didn't realise they were available in the US now.

i really should have, seeing as you mentioned it right at the beginning!

i suppose "impatience is a virtue" for these sellers. i personally would just wait for them to be back in stock. :)

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ahh i see, i didn't realise they were available in the US now.

Yes...they've been available for a whole 4.5 hours now. That's what all of the excitement is today in the US...first day the iPad 2 is available!;)

When I first posted this thread...the iPad 2 had only been available 3 hours...and folks already had them on Craig's List for sale (just 3 hours or less later).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
it is al over ebay as well.. i saw one 64g wifi for 1,300... that is insane.. this is why I just ordered mine this morning..

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it is al over ebay as well.. i saw one 64g wifi for 1,300... that is insane.. this is why I just ordered mine this morning..

Yeah...I didn't check e-Bay yet. You know that's got to be a real "ZOO" on e-Bay with the outrageous pricing!:(

- Nick

Reaction score
I don't get why people wouldn't just order online and get one in a couple weeks instead of paying some retarded amount.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac Retina - 3.2 i5 - 8GB - 256GB SSD - R9 M380 GPU
It's nothing but a race of who has the latest and greatest first. And when it comes to that, people will pay big amounts. Look at the Prius when it came out.... people were paying in upwards of $10-15k OVER the MSRP.

I am with the other crowd. I would order it at regular price and simply wait. Good things come to those who wait.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.