Stumped - can't boot

Reaction score
Hello to everyone - I'm new here and looking to solve a difficult problem. In short I botched my bootcamp by using Paragon disc manager in Windows, to copy the same partition to an external drive, when it prompted me for a restart to continue. What I got was a black screen with a flashing - hyphen and 5 dots below it.

I then tried the Paragon DVD to repair the Bootcamp boot partition and got the same screen upon reboot.

I then tried the mac installation disc and no keyboard command would work from the bluetooth keyboard on my new 27 inch iMac. It has new freshly charged batteries which I changed again and still nothing. It only worked when pressing C with the Paragon disc. I'm stuck and yes the mouse works because we had to use it to extract the disk. The eject command on the kb didn't work.

So I'm left with the black screen and a kb that works selectively. I don't get it. I can't break through to mac or windows. Please help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
How about starting up using your OS X install DVD? (just don't "continue" the install)

OP
A
Reaction score
That's what I'm trying to do but it doesn't anything but go back to the black screen. Forget kb commands they're not working.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Just for clarification, when you boot from the OSX disk (holding down the 'c' key) it doesn't come up to allow you do install or access disk utilities?

OP
A
Reaction score
Correct. Pressing the C worked with the Paragon cd. No commands work and it's barely two months since I got it. The keyboard seems to be dead

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very strange!
Booting while holding down the 'c' key is supposed to force the system to look for a DvD/CD disk to boot from. The fact that using the 'c' key works with your Paragon disk (I am not at all familiar with Paragon BTW) makes me think it isn't neccessarily a Keyboard issue. Can you take it to an Apple store? Since, as you said, its only 2 months old you are obviously still under warranty.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Try Booting while holding down the Option Key.

If no luck, hold down ctrl key; but Option Key should work.

Ian

OP
A
Reaction score
That produced nothing yesterday but I'll try it again in about an hour when I can get back to it. Very frustrating.

OP
A
Reaction score
OK I just tried C,D, option and nothing worked. I was only able to use the mouse and the left click to extract the DVD. That's the only thing that worked so the keyboard looks like it's the problem. What do you think?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have access to a USB keyboard to try?

OP
A
Reaction score
No, are Mac keyboards USB driven? Then they might be sold in most computer stores. Or do I have to get it from Apple?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
A
Reaction score
OK I just called a nearby shop and they have a selection. I have to try this because I'm shut out of my iMac. I can't get over this it's still new and this happens. At least it responds to the mouse. Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know what happens.

Anyone know how to fix a bootcamp mbr or boot partition?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK I just called a nearby shop and they have a selection. I have to try this because I'm shut out of my iMac. I can't get over this it's still new and this happens. At least it responds to the mouse. Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know what happens.

Anyone know how to fix a bootcamp mbr or boot partition?

Once you can boot from the OSX disk you can use Disk Utility to repartition and reformat the drive.

OP
A
Reaction score
Is that the only way? Will the repair disk function in disk utility fix it? I really don't wish to format a new installation.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is that the only way? Will the repair disk function in disk utility fix it? I really don't wish to format a new installation.

I would try repairing permissions first.

OP
A
Reaction score
The USB KB did the trick. I also fixed the "no boot device" problem in Bootcamp by using the repair function on the Windows 7 installation disk. All is back to normal except for the Mac keyboard which is dead. I'll get that replaced but my faith in the technology is battered. Nothing replaces a wired keyboard for dependency. Many thanks for your speedy help. It's a great forum.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The USB KB did the trick. I also fixed the "no boot device" problem in Bootcamp by using the repair function on the Windows 7 installation disk. All is back to normal except for the Mac keyboard which is dead. I'll get that replaced but my faith in the technology is battered. Nothing replaces a wired keyboard for dependency. Many thanks for your speedy help. It's a great forum.
You're welcome. Glad things worked out well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.