MacBook - Dell 2408WFP problem

Reaction score
Brand new Macbook, brand new Dell 2408WFP. Connected from minidisplay-vga. The problem I am having is that about every 10 minutes the display goes black and reconnects only when I touch my mouse. Very frustrating, I called Apple support and they took me through troubleshooting and determined it wasn't the Mac. I haven't called Dell yet (got stuck on hold).

My monitor settings: 1920x1200 60 Hz. When I switched down to 1600x1000 at 75 Hz, the problem appeared to go away. However i want the 19x12 setting. There is no way I can tell to adjust the speed manually.

Some other tidbits
  • the 2408 monitor is fine with my old PC running Windows XP
  • my old Dell 19" monitor is fine with the new Mac - it's not a widescreen monitor.
  • Apple says it's not their problem

Any advice?

Thanks
Sam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
That sounds as though the Mac is set to put the display to sleep after a certain amount of time... have you checked your energy saving settings?

Reaction score
dell 2408 monitor problem with macbook pro -

Hi, Bonjour,

same problem as you. Dell changed the monitor from a 2405 to 2408, problem there too ! let me know if you find a solution. Ichecked the energy savings, nothing there to manage an external monitor.

RunningDream

Brand new Macbook, brand new Dell 2408WFP. Connected from minidisplay-vga. The problem I am having is that about every 10 minutes the display goes black and reconnects only when I touch my mouse. Very frustrating, I called Apple support and they took me through troubleshooting and determined it wasn't the Mac. I haven't called Dell yet (got stuck on hold).

My monitor settings: 1920x1200 60 Hz. When I switched down to 1600x1000 at 75 Hz, the problem appeared to go away. However i want the 19x12 setting. There is no way I can tell to adjust the speed manually.

Some other tidbits
  • the 2408 monitor is fine with my old PC running Windows XP
  • my old Dell 19" monitor is fine with the new Mac - it's not a widescreen monitor.
  • Apple says it's not their problem

Any advice?

Thanks
Sam

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Hi, Bonjour,

same problem as you. Dell changed the monitor from a 2405 to 2408, problem there too ! let me know if you find a solution. Ichecked the energy savings, nothing there to manage an external monitor.

RunningDream

On the "Sleep" tab
Try moving the slider underneath:
"Put the display(s) to sleep when the computer is inactive for:"

Reaction score
The problem I am having is that about every 10 minutes the display goes black and reconnects only when I touch my mouse.

Samboo, this has nothing to do with your Macbook. I have the very same problem with my 2408WFP on Linux with DVI, too. After the monitor is powered on for a while this problem goes away, but its frustrating anyways. Let me know when you found a solution or got an answer from DELL.

Reaction score
I recently bought a Dell 2408WFP and noticed almost immediately the same problem. However, then a firmware update appeared from Mac for the mini-display to VGA adapter and the problem has disappeared.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.