I have no sound when playing .avi movies through Qucktime.

Reaction score
I have been playing .avi movies with no problem on my mac ever since i got it. I play them with QuickTime using 'Flip4Mac' and its always played the files perfectly. However recently it has played the .avi movies with no sound, the picture is perfect but there is no sounds.

When I open the files with DivX Player and they play fine. I thought this was just a problem with QuickTime, but then I tried to burn the .avi movies to a disk and there was no sound on the disk. This lead me to think that it is something to do with my MacBook. Does anyone here know how I would be able to get the sound back?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
Maybe the file use a different codec. One .avi file could use different codecs actually. You could try to install this plugin to QuickTime: http://perian.org/

Maybe you get it working now? Or else you could just download the video player called VLC, that one works fine too.

I dont think there is any problem with your computer, if you can play other files fine.

Reaction score
I have been playing .avi movies with no problem on my mac ever since i got it. I play them with QuickTime using 'Flip4Mac' and its always played the files perfectly. However recently it has played the .avi movies with no sound, the picture is perfect but there is no sounds.

When I open the files with DivX Player and they play fine. I thought this was just a problem with QuickTime, but then I tried to burn the .avi movies to a disk and there was no sound on the disk. This lead me to think that it is something to do with my MacBook. Does anyone here know how I would be able to get the sound back?

Thanks in advance.
Use VLC player.

It plays everything.

OP
J
Reaction score
Maybe the file use a different codec. One .avi file could use different codecs actually. You could try to install this plugin to QuickTime: http://perian.org/

Maybe you get it working now? Or else you could just download the video player called VLC, that one works fine too.

I dont think there is any problem with your computer, if you can play other files fine.

Thanks, but it didn't work, its all the .avi files that don't play with sound but other files like mp4 play fine. I would get VLC but it doesn't solve the fact that toast burns them with no sound.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.