shift-select files in finder

M

manyways

im quite new to the macworld, and a heavy PC user

in windows explorer when i select multiple files, i hold the shift key and select files as needed... shift + down selects more files, shift + up deselects the most recent file

however in finder,

shift + down selects the next file, shift + up selects the file above my current selection and so on

how do i de-select files using the keyboard?

hope i made this scenario understandable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i havent quite figured it out either. but if you command click, that should de-select or select files as you want. kind of like ctrl + click in windows

OP
M

Merlinblack

you can cmd click, that is the only way I've found so far :p

I used the shift key a lot in windows as well.

OP
U

UncSki1218

if in finder...just click and drag the pointer over all of the files u want (like u would on the desktop just fooling around). that will select all of the files in the box.

Reaction score
switch to list view

Switch to list view (command+2) and then you can use shift+click or shift+arrow keys and they will work like in windows when in this view

(yes, i know this thread is very old, but I am a new switcher and I just searched for this so I imagine other switchers are looking for this info too.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
(yes, i know this thread is very old, but I am a new switcher and I just searched for this so I imagine other switchers are looking for this info too.)
It gets asked frequently. I'm surprised you didn't find a newer one.

if in finder...just click and drag the pointer over all of the files u want (like u would on the desktop just fooling around). that will select all of the files in the box.
Well, not quite, and that's most useful in Icon View. They don't have to be completely in the box, but the edge of the box has to touch the icons you want. Then, shift-click will select additional ones. You can also used Cmd-click de-select in Icon View.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.