I`m new to apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20 inch
Very good forum, woulld be nice to have a new member room where we can introduce ourselves like most other good forums have.

Cheers..................Howard:)

Reaction score
We do have an IRC chat room, you know....:)

Reaction score
Mucho Felicidades

I bet your gonna look up that word :D
P.S. I'm still a P.C. but your right excellent forum, better than P.C. i have to admit.....but still I am a P.C. (not advertising)

Reaction score
total MAC n00b.
Is the thing about a mac processor basically = 2 Windows processors still true?... you know with them using Pentiums C2D and all?

Reaction score
Lies...*Listens to Ipod Touch* PC Forever...

you know an apple is basically a P.C it's just a different Operating System and Appearance..

Reaction score

you know an apple is basically a P.C it's just a different Operating System and Appearance..

I think you're being defensive... noone is telling you otherwise.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

No, really? There's no magical fairy dust inside there, lubricated with unicorn tears? Say it ain't so!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
NOTE: Moved to more appropriate forum.

Reaction score
He said lubricated....:)lol
How does a chat welcoming a new guy go from the idea of "lubrication" from a forum about the idea of Mac go so... :Confused:

No, really? There's no magical fairy dust inside there, lubricated with unicorn tears? Say it ain't so!

I would say so, that they have magical fairy dust, lubricated with unicorn tears. This is because one laptop is going around 2k and Society is buying it, literally. Even though you can get a basically better processor on P.C. and features, but for the price, I would say Apple has finally found a way to harvest magical fairy dust and lubricated unicorn tears and include it into their deep and most innermost line of Apple products , so I think it's worth it. :D

I think you're being defensive... noone is telling you otherwise.

_(A little defensive is better than a little offensive.)_

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would say so, that they have magical fairy dust, lubricated with unicorn tears. This is because one laptop is going around 2k and Society is buying it, literally. Even though you can get a basically better processor on P.C. and features, but for the price, I would say Apple has finally found a way to harvest magical fairy dust and lubricated unicorn tears and include it into their deep and most innermost line of Apple products , so I think it's worth it. :D

Based on this, I'm not sure if you're here to troll or honestly want to get a better handle on the value equation of Apple products. So, I'll sum it up for you and see where you go from here.

Some vendors are better than others, but if you compare identical configurations versus Apple, you'll see that it's not as bad as you thought. These specific comparisons have been done on countless occasions here, so I'm not going to do one right now. Generally speaking, Apple gets about a 15-30% premium on their machines. When you consider the build quality and materials, that's usually a pretty good value. When you consider the OS and accompanying software (and Apple doesn't include any craplets, you get the full versions of the iLife suite, which is a roughly $300 value versus comparable Windows apps), it tips the value equation even further in Apple's favor.

And of course, when you buy an Apple, you get premium tech support that isn't going to tell you to go call Microsoft if there's an OS issue. And that tech support is typically native-English speakers. That's not to say that you can't get the same level of support from other vendors, but it will usually cost you an extra $100-150.

There is certainly value in buying a vertically integrated product from a vendor that controls the hardware, support and OS, and I think that's why "society" buys them.

And of course, if you want to run Windows on it, you can. So, that gives you the best of both worlds and in my opinion is certainly worthy of a premium price.

Now, if you're gaming and intend to use Windows most of the time, by all means, a DIY PC is certainly the best way to go. But for a laptop that is used for general purpose computing, I would have a hard time recommending anything other than an Apple.

Reaction score
:D You guys are so passive about PC vs Mac...

Well, this a forum about Apple's computer line and other products from Apple, so it kind of goes inline with the rest of the forum. But not all of us are.;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini - 2.26 Ghz C2D - 2 GB RAM - 160 GB HDD
total MAC n00b.
Is the thing about a mac processor basically = 2 Windows processors still true?... you know with them using Pentiums C2D and all?

No, that was a possible assessment of the performance of a Pentium processor vs. a Power PC back in the day. It was usually said (I don't know if this was true) that a Power PC chip's frequency would usually equal double the equivalent Pentium's frequency in processing power.

EX: 2.0 GHz G5 (supposedly) = 4.0 GHz Pentium 4 HT

Reaction score
No, that was a possible assessment of the performance of a Pentium processor vs. a Power PC back in the day. It was usually said (I don't know if this was true) that a Power PC chip's frequency would usually equal double the equivalent Pentium's frequency in processing power.

EX: 2.0 GHz G5 (supposedly) = 4.0 GHz Pentium 4 HT
yeah well I know I must sound like an idiotic n00b (which I am really) but the guy in the apple store said that the same thing holds with the C2D. The only problem is that it seems pretty even from CNET and other reviews.....any insight? IMHO if you BOTH got the same processors there really shouldn't be any difference

Reaction score
The difference mentioned in above posts, it's no more... It's the FSB...or so I'm told.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.