Spilled Whiskey ALL OVER my Mac!

Reaction score
It got my keyboard really sticky and the lights are out on the keyboard. The disc drive is also sticky and I can't put any discs into it. I have no money to buy a new Mac, but I have some money to repair it if the repair costs are little. Everything works fine on it, and I dried it out for two days in a row. But the keyboard sticking is really pissing me off.

Suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
It got my keyboard really sticky and the lights are out on the keyboard. The disc drive is also sticky and I can't put any discs into it. I have no money to buy a new Mac, but I have some money to repair it if the repair costs are little. Everything works fine on it, and I dried it out for two days in a row. But the keyboard sticking is really pissing me off.

Suggestions?

Stop drinking whiskey!! :D

You are likely to see other issues down the road due to liquid damage. The true extent of the damage at this point is really unknown.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So then who should I take it to? TO get it fixed?

In MANY cases...liquid spilled on a laptop results in a damaged logic board. The parts alone (depending on the laptop model) can cost upwards of $750+...then add labor if you can't do the repair yourself. This usually means (depending on the age of the computer) that a person is basically better off purchasing a new computer than repairing the old one.

Sorry...but not a pretty picture.:(

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
Look what I found at the top of this section. Click me.

C

chas_m

The sugars in the whiskey are going to -- slowly -- eat that computer's solder and circuit board.

You may try lightly dabbing some Goo Gone on the keyboard, but the overall diagnosis is terminal. I would be very vigilant about keeping backups up to date and I would start saving for a replacement machine right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Ghz 15' MBPro, 32G iPhone3GS, 64Gb iPad 3G
I have no money to buy a new Mac, but I have some money to repair it if the repair costs are little.

Well, I'd say buy a bottle of whiskey and drink it, hope that eases the pain. :)

Reaction score
spilled coffee on laptop doing a sexy dance

I was trying to record myself doing a sexy dance for my boyfriend in Afghanistan and I some how managed to spill coffee all over my Mac. I turned it upside down hoping to minimise the liquid infiltrating the hard drive. Today when I turned it on it worked for hours while I played music but now it won't work. It just comes up with a flashing folder icon. Please help. I love that computer and I have thousands of photos on it that I never backed up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Sorry to say Harmony,
liquid damage is already a hard luck story, if not immediate damage, eventual damage is a certainty.
Turning it on so soon, without cleaning it out and letting it dry has only made things worse.
Flashing folder icon is pretty much telling you there is corruption in your OS, or no OS.
I will direct you to this article, and hopefully you have enough success to at least go to the next step of retrieving data.
You can download spend money on data recovery software,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.