AppleCare or Insurance?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Well, for my birthday, I have the option of getting either AppleCare or laptop insurance from Safeware.

Safeware is like, $72 a year, whereas AppleCare is $200 (after student discount) for two years, and AppleCare doesn't cover accidental damage/loss/theft, which Safeware does.

So, what do you think would be the wiser investment, assuming I can have one, but not both?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
well from what i understand, Safeware doesn't protect against manufacturer defaults. So get one now and the other one later.

OP
Derek McNelly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well from what i understand, Safeware doesn't protect against manufacturer defaults. So get one now and the other one later.

Well, I have until July to get AppleCare, but for my birthday, I'm only going to have enough for one or the other, and my birthday is in April.

So, probably AppleCare now, and then in the summer (or whenever I can afford it) get the insurance?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If you have homeowners or renters insurance on your dwelling, this will cover the theft/damage portion even if the computer is not physically in the dwelling at the time of the accident.

A friend of mine was out on business and had his 3 year old Powerbook stolen from his hotel room. His renters insurance covered the cost of the Powerbook and he was paid in less than a week. He was smart, he kept the original receipt and packing material, sent it to the Insurance Co, and they cut him a check for the full original value.

My advice, get AppleCare for what it covers and either get Renters Insurance for your Dorm, or see if it is covered by your folks home policy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24in&20/iPodtouch/iPhone
I also have Applecare, I still didn't set it up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, White Macbook, iPod Video
No way to homeowners

You're right and wrong when it comes to using homeowners insurance for the macbook while you're in college.

1. Their homeowners probably has a 1000+ deductible.
2. It's a strike against their home insurance. One hailstorm that forces em to get a new roof, and your macbook claim might just cancel their insurance.
3. It only covers you while you're a full-time student in college or til youre 25. If you drop below 12 credit hours that semester, it doesn't cover you.

Renters is the same, except usually a 500 deductible, and the claim stays with you. #3 doesn't apply.

However not all is lost. Go to your State Farm agent, and ask about a PAP (Personal Articles Policy). You list your things of value, over $500, and you get a 0 deductible, and if you have a claim, it doesn't hurt your claim record overall. It costs anywhere from $2-$5 a month, and is valid anywhere. The only thing it doesn't cover is normal wear and tear. Accidental coverage, theft, mysterious disappearance, you getting angry and using it as a frisbee.. All covered, 0 deductible, anywhere anytime.

That's what I'd do. And you don't need an existing State Farm policy to get one of these. However, I'm sure they will try to pivot and make you take everything else over there too.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
does square cover everything that safeware does?

is safeware for real, its pretty cheap and my mac getting stolen has kinda haunted me when ive left it in the car before. i try to have it on the floor under its case but still, living in a college area and going to school...yeah.. they dont seem like that bad of a deal....

especially the lcd protection, thats amazing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I personally would only get AppleCare.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
I personally would only get AppleCare.

yeah but applecare doesnt cover stolen, or broken LCD, or some spilling beer on your laptop.

at least i dont think so.

to know that id be ok if someone came in to my dorm

OP
Derek McNelly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
However not all is lost. Go to your State Farm agent, and ask about a PAP (Personal Articles Policy). You list your things of value, over $500, and you get a 0 deductible, and if you have a claim, it doesn't hurt your claim record overall. It costs anywhere from $2-$5 a month, and is valid anywhere. The only thing it doesn't cover is normal wear and tear. Accidental coverage, theft, mysterious disappearance, you getting angry and using it as a frisbee.. All covered, 0 deductible, anywhere anytime.

That's what I'd do. And you don't need an existing State Farm policy to get one of these. However, I'm sure they will try to pivot and make you take everything else over there too.

Good luck.

Well dang! That's exactly what I was looking for. Nevermind AppleCare, that's perfect!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Black, 13.3 inch, glossy screen, super cool
State Farm Insurance is a great choice...I have a policy and they replaced my cell phone when I dropped it and it broke... I say go with State Farm.

Reaction score
I am with State Farm so I will DEFINITELY give them a call tomorrow to see about this. If not, I am going with safeware.

As for applecare......I don't know, I guess. Better safe than sorry, which I was VERY sorry the last time I had a mac (water damage)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.