• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

8mm sony handycam analog into macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook c2d 2.16ghz 1gig ram 120 gig hdd
Part of the reason I am going to switch to a mac is so I can do something with my home movies, Now I told My wife that If i get a mac I can put her old 8mm analog film onto a dvd that i will burn on the macbook( I have not purchased yet!) Is it possible and what type of adapter etc will i need?

I also have a jvc mini dv camcorder as well which I think will plug and play on the mac with no problem. I am researching this ahead of my purchase so i will have less surprises.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
If your JVC has an AV input you can connect your 8mm camera through the JVC into the MacBook.

If not you will need something from www.elgato.com or www.miglia.com to convert the video

OP
sockeye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If your JVC has an AV input you can connect your 8mm camera through the JVC into the MacBook.

If not you will need something from www.elgato.com or www.miglia.com to convert the video

Thanks for the speedy reply, I an not sure if the jvc has av inputs i will look but are you recording the 8mm to mini dv or using it as a pass thru to the mac? Thanks!! (cool avatar!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can use it as a pass thru to the mac if it has an AV input

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you minidv camcorder uses Firewire you will be able to do it all right in iMovie

OP
sockeye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trppnmonkey41 need your help(again!)

thanks for the info, I have been dinkin with my jvc mini dv cam,chargin battery etc, I can not find a firewire cord in all my stuff, It looks like it has a port to plug into its very tiny with four contacts inside, (the door to it has a big letter "i") If I buy a macbook do i need firewire 400?? Wheres a good place to buy one? apple seems kinda high at 30 bucks thanks!

OP
sockeye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey thanks, that looks like the right terminal end I need at the camera.
thats a better deal too!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.