Apple Icon.. won't boot up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
I'm running both mac and xp.... (on xp right now).... I started up my mac this morning so I could work on a website... got it updated, then switched over to PC so I could do some work in Excel (hate the mac version)... then noticed I had a mistake on the website so I went BACK to my mac...

It started up rather slow..... I got the new updates notice (Quicktime, Airport, and Battery) and said Ok... install.... while those files were being downloaded I opened up fetch..... which took Forever to launch... and then just my website folder to drag the updated file to fetch but it wouldn't respond..... I got the dreaded spinning rainbow.

I thought maybe it's the updates being installed so I clicked on that window to bring it forward........ that took ages!!! It had finished installing and was optimizing my drive...... but it never completed... I'm guessing about 99% completed.... it just hung there for about 20 minutes before I decided to just do a hard shutdown......

Was this a mistake? Because now..... my mac won't start up at all..... I get the gray screen with the Apply symbol and that little gray spinning thing... and that's all it does....... I let my mac sit like that for about 15 minutes before I did another hard shutdown and just started up in XP.

Can someone give me any advice on what might have happened? How I can fix this or what might be wrong???

Thanks... :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
Try booting up with you OS X install dvd and see if you can run a repair of the permission on the driver or a full disk repair.

1. Turn on MacBook
2. Insert OS X DVD
3. Press and hold C until it begins to boot off DVD
4. Go into Disk Utility from the Menu bar and run a disk repair

OP
MACyMouse
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Noxian...... I thought of that...... am at work at the moment so I can't do it now unfortunately....

Got any clue as to why this happened?? Don't wanna do it again......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Thanks Noxian...... I thought of that...... am at work at the moment so I can't do it now unfortunately....

Got any clue as to why this happened?? Don't wanna do it again......

It's happened because one of the programs you were running interfered with the update and corrupted it. In the future, and it's a pain, install the updates one by one or just leave the computer alone while the updates are installing. Leaving the computer alone during updates has always worked for me.

OP
MACyMouse
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fetch ?? hmmm it was the only program I was running...... :Confused:

Well... did the disk utility check with the CD.... after 3 attempts it failed..... so I posted another question over in Bootcamp... wanted to know if re-installing OS would wipe out my XP..... guess I found that answer out.... and nope it didn't....... ;D

Also.... my OSX was running a little funny prior to it not starting... it would take a really long time for programs to launch.... so I don't think updates like I mentioned above would cause it... I think my OSX was already heading for a meltdown...... the optimization did it in..... just my lame theory. :Lips-Are-Sealed:

Regardless... I reinstalled, updated, installed my software.... it's running like it's suppose to now.... fast! :D

But I agree... I try to let the updates do it's thing without interruptions.... :Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Fetch ?? hmmm it was the only program I was running...... :Confused:

Well... did the disk utility check with the CD.... after 3 attempts it failed..... so I posted another question over in Bootcamp... wanted to know if re-installing OS would wipe out my XP..... guess I found that answer out.... and nope it didn't....... ;D

Also.... my OSX was running a little funny prior to it not starting... it would take a really long time for programs to launch.... so I don't think updates like I mentioned above would cause it... I think my OSX was already heading for a meltdown...... the optimization did it in..... just my lame theory. :Lips-Are-Sealed:

Regardless... I reinstalled, updated, installed my software.... it's running like it's suppose to now.... fast! :D

But I agree... I try to let the updates do it's thing without interruptions.... :Cool:

When you get the apple logo and the spinning gear, that means it can't find the software or the software is damaged. Something was running and causing interference and causing osx to run slow. So when you did the update and it hung at 99%, that was the moment your software gave it up. It might not have been fetch that caused this, but something was running or not running properly.
In my brief stay at tech support I noticed this happened a lot on computers with windows and bootcamp. Something on the osx side always breaks down. And mackbook pros with or with out bootcamp were notorious for this problem. But this was all in a small percentage of computers sold. Don't get freaked out or anything. Apples are great. Sometimes you just have to work some bugs out.

OP
MACyMouse
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks!!

Everything seems to be working great now... *crossing fingers* !!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.