What is using up all my memory?

Reaction score
I can't seem to figure out how all of my memory is being used up on my macbook. The way I calculate it, I should only have used up about 74 GB of memory space (I added up the space used for itunes, iphoto, imovie, documents, and applications), but my Istat monitor says I have used up 101 GB. Why is there a discrepancy of 27 GB? Are there duplicate files somewhere that I could delete to free up more memory space? Also, is there a program that would allow me to view exactly how my memory is allocated so that I can find out how much memory is used up for each program and how the memory space is allocated? This way it would be easier for me to find this 27 GB that is being used? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Eric

Reaction score
I think you mean "what is using up all my storage".

Have you right click on the Macintosh HD in the Finder and clicked "Get Info"? This might give you something different.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
>_<" the correct term would be "space" since you are referring to the storage space left on your HDD.

You can try using a disk analyzer like Disk Inventory X (free), or DaisyDisk (not free but has demo). They tell you exactly what's on your disk and how much space files take up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
The operating system uses about 12gb.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I think i'm going to try out the disk inventory software suggested above. I appreciate all your help.

Reaction score
MacKeepr

i had the same concern as you once, and found a software that is worth every penny. MacKeeper

MacKeeper will show you your harddrive and will color code files according to their size, (that includes system files) and will show you where all your space is going. Also, it'll help you clean gegabites worth of junk.

Cheers!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i had the same concern as you once, and found a software that is worth every penny. MacKeeper

I don't think you're going to find may people agreeing with you. We have many members that have had nothing but problems after installing MacKeeper!

- Nick

Reaction score
Nick.

what kind of troubles do they face?

i've had it on a 2007 macbook, and transferred it to my 2012 macbook pro and it has met my expectations. either my expectations are noob-like or i'm from the lucky bunch!

i don't use all the features provided, i only use the applications under "cleaning" tab, which those alone i think are worth it. i have also found damaged files using the "anti-virus" scan feature.

it'll still be interesting seeing what others think of the software!

Cheers!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what kind of troubles do they face?

Many folks run into performance issues...especially using the anti-virus feature. And sometimes kernel panics (if you know what they are).

When folks post that they are having performance issues...and we find out that they're running MacKeeper...the first thing we usually suggest is uninstall MacKeeper!

it'll still be interesting seeing what others think of the software!

Do a Mac-Forums search for previous threads...no need to wait!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
i hear ya!

actually what i'll do is: i'll uninstall it, use my computer for a while and see if it runs better!!

and will also search the website

Thanks Nick!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
actually what i'll do is: i'll uninstall it, use my computer for a while and see if it runs better!!

and will also search the website

If you're using MacKeeper mainly for the virus protection...many of us don't use virus protection...or need it.:)

Just stay away from "funky sites"!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
I use MacKeeper weekly on both my 2010 MB Pro and my 2011 MB Air. I swear by it for it's cleaning and organizing features. Never used it as an antivirus.

"You can please all of the people some of the time and some of the people all the time but never all the people all the time."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.