Battery will not charge, considering replacement options...

Reaction score
Hello all,
I could really use some help...

So I believe I drained my battery completely on my 13"Black MacBook (Model early 2008) - ever since, the battery remains at 0% (Not Charging) and refuses to charge. I followed the steps to reset my SMC (I think I did it correctly...) - I turned the MacBook off, unplugged the power adaptor, removed the battery, pressed power button for >5 seconds, then replaced battery and replaced power adaptor and repowered - nothing happened after waiting a long time. Was this the correct SMC reset procedure?

Assuming my battery is totally shot, and I do not have Applecare and I am past the 1 yr warranty... I bet I am buying a new battery!!! So my question now is, must I spend the $139 or so for a MAC battery, or is a compatible one sufficient from a "buy.com" or "titannotebook.com" for around $60.

Thanks for your patience and response!!!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Are you 100% sure your battery is dead? The last time your battery was fully charged & worked, how long (hours & minutes) did the battery last?

If your battery was working fine & all of a sudden it didn't work...either the battery is bad, or the charging circuitry inside the computer is bad (assuming your charge/wall adapter is working properly as well).

If you think that your battery is still good...go to your local Apple store...and maybe they will check it for you.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Minis, iPhone 6/5S, iMac, Mac Book Pro
Gosh, are you kicking yourself for being cheap and not getting Apple Care? This the greatest no-brainer in the history of mankind. Stuff happens and it's best to plan for it. I had a video controller go out, causing kernel panics. The logic board need to be replaced. Apple over-nighted to Texas and back and I now have have a new 2007 MBP. For free.

You're gonna have to bite the bullet and get a new battery from Apple.

Sorry for your loss. Life is not fair.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gosh, are you kicking yourself for being cheap and not getting Apple Care? This the greatest no-brainer in the history of mankind.

I'm not sure this is a totally fair statement. All Apple computers come with a pretty decent 12 month warranty, and I usually like to think that if something is defective, that it will show up in that first 12 months.

And to be more specific...Apple's warranty does NOT cover batteries...quote from the Apple warranty PDF:

"This warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries, unless damage has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship;

Here's the full warranty statement:

http://images.apple.com/legal/warranty/docs/cpuwarranty.pdf

So it really wouldn't matter if the original poster had Apple Care...basically batteries are not covered!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Minis, iPhone 6/5S, iMac, Mac Book Pro
I had a battery replaced, free, while on warranty. In my case, it wouldn't hold a charge. So, maybe I might be the exception to the rule. But, I saved $125.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had a battery replaced, free, while on warranty. In my case, it wouldn't hold a charge. So, maybe I might be the exception to the rule. But, I saved $125.

Awesome! Apple or the employees at Apple stores seem to be pretty flexible when it comes to customer service...and flexible in their interpretation of the warranty rules.

Of course there are some stores/employee's that go by the book...but that seems to be only a minority according to the many positive experiences I've read here.

Congrats to you in getting your battery replaced.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook BLACK 13" 2,1: 2ghz, 2gigs, 120HD
Awesome! Apple or the employees at Apple stores seem to be pretty flexible when it comes to customer service...and flexible in their interpretation of the warranty rules.

Of course there are some stores/employee's that go by the book...but that seems to be only a minority according to the many positive experiences I've read here.

Congrats to you in getting your battery replaced.

- Nick

Ya my Late '06 Macbook's battery crapped out after the charger melted. Went to the store and they replaced the magsafe part of the charger. I guess the melting issue is a known problem. Left disappointed since they didn't give me a replacement battery. Later they sent me a survey asking about my experience. Told em I was disappointed about not getting a replacement battery. Next day they called me and asked for me to come back to the store. The Apple guy gave me a new battery!! Gotta love that Apple Custy Service ;D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ya my Late '06 Macbook's battery crapped out after the charger melted. Went to the store and they replaced the magsafe part of the charger. I guess the melting issue is a known problem. Left disappointed since they didn't give me a replacement battery. Later they sent me a survey asking about my experience. Told em I was disappointed about not getting a replacement battery. Next day they called me and asked for me to come back to the store. The Apple guy gave me a new battery!! Gotta love that Apple Custy Service ;D

That's a pretty interesting little detail regarding the survey. Usually you think that you fill those things out, and nobody REALLY reads them. But it sure seems that someone read your survey...and you got a new battery out of it!!

Very nice,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.