Can I safely delete files in Download folder?

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm running out of space. If I delete files in my downloads folder will they still be somewhere on my computer if I haven't saved them in another location?

A lot of things have extensions like .pkg .ttf .sit .zip, these are mostly related to applications. Will it effect the app if I delete these?

Thanks.
(running Leopard.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
As long as you've unstuffed the programs/files and put the contents where you want, then yes.
It won't affect the installed apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Installed them all? Then yes. Once upon a time used to burn all these downloads to a DVD-RW disc but with continual updates and broadband/cable speeds, no longer necessary or practical.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
I used to burn them all to cd's or dvd's too, because Windows was likely to go down the stinker at any time. With the Mac, now once I have finished with whatever I downloaded, it goes in the trash since I don't think OS X is going to bottom out on me anytime soon. I do save some downloads to an external hard drive, but that is mainly 3D content that was hard to find, or tutorial videos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
If I delete files in my downloads folder will they still be somewhere on my computer if I haven't saved them in another location?

Posts #2 and #3 are absolutely correct. But, taking just what you've written there, the answer is no.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
When not using automatic installing options, I always use the download location as the desktop, and install everything in the desired location from there.
The only things that I ever get in the downloads folder are disk images, which I know that I can safely delete, as I know that it has been installed without having to recall or guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" (early 2008, pre-unibody), 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.
As so many items get routed to the downloads folder (email attachments, pdfs and .doc files from an internet browser, etc.), not just software updates, I find it's a good idea to clear it out pretty often, almost every day for me. That way I'm sure the content I want to keep is saved somewhere else on disc that makes sense in my file architecture.

I used to keep a "temp" folder in windows for this purpose, cause I loth a cluttered desktop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.