External Monitor not detected on Macbook

Reaction score
I just switch to MAC and bought my first Macbook in October. I'm trying to install an extended 19 inch LCD monitor but it's not detecting it. I using a apple mini display port to dvi adapter the dvi cable to my monitor.In the Dispaly option menu it don't show me the "arrangement tab" because its not detecting the monitor.

Reaction score
Hey, I just got the LG 20" monitor (W2061TQ) to hook up to my mbp 13" and I don't get any signal via the DVI-D port (DVI-D cable, mini DisplayPort adapter).
I tried using the VGA route and that works fine.

Does anyone have any idea why the DVI route isn't working?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
Hey, I just got the LG 20" monitor (W2061TQ) to hook up to my mbp 13" and I don't get any signal via the DVI-D port (DVI-D cable, mini DisplayPort adapter).
I tried using the VGA route and that works fine.

Does anyone have any idea why the DVI route isn't working?

Are you sure you're using the right type of DVI cable since there are 3 different types (DVI-I, DVI-D and DVI-A)?

Reaction score
Yeap, I double checked that.
The monitor has DVI-D input, using a DVI-D cable, and made sure that the mac's port is a mini DVI-D output...

Interesting, eh?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Make sure you changed the input on the monitor to DVI.

If no signal, I'd suggest you try connecting the monitor to another computer and make sure the port on the monitor is working.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.