Have i screwed up my Macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 500GB HDD, 8GB Ram / iPhone 4 32GB / Nano, Touch & Classic / iMac / Apple TV / iPad 64
I put in a small style CD into my slot drive and it has gone in but wont be recognised and wont come back out.

Apple are quoting £50 to remove!! :eek:neye:

Is there a way of doing a forced eject?

Or how else would i get the CD out?

Willing to open it up if needs be, as long as there is little chance of messing it up?

What do people think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Personally mate - I'd rather go for the £50 that Apple quoted - if you do it your-self you could be looking at a much bigger bill from Apple if you mess something else up (and of course by opening it, you'll void the warranty).

Let Apple do it and just consider it a lesson learned the hard-way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
I agree - that's nothing compared to what it would cost to fix it if you break something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.0 ghz core duo 2. 2gb ram ddr2, 60gb hard drive, superdrive. ipod video 30gb. Iphone
someone i know did the same thing. you wanna just do it the apple way

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
A "small style CD?" As in one of those tiny ones referenced in this article?

Check out this thread and see if any of the tips there help.

Best of luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
those discs are 100% not compatible with slot loading drives, which i guess you have just figured out....luckily the disk should be in the drive no farther than your finger was able to push it in....

if you have a relatively thin pair of tweezers and you dont care much about the disk i would very cautiosly try to remove the disc with that but if it is a no go dont force anything or scratch your compy or anything like that...i would then bring it to the apple store and pay them to do it because just about anything else is going to void your warantee....and taht is something you dont want to do
-chris

Reaction score
I had the same problem..I just took a normal cd..and gently pushed it in the slot pushing against the mini disk..The drive grabbed the mini disk and ejected it..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
I had the same problem..I just took a normal cd..and gently pushed it in the slot pushing against the mini disk..The drive grabbed the mini disk and ejected it..

...clever idea

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 500GB HDD, 8GB Ram / iPhone 4 32GB / Nano, Touch & Classic / iMac / Apple TV / iPad 64
58641_2.gif

That is the one, it said nowhere that the drive doesnt support this kind of disc, not that i saw anyway so im a bit annoyed at another £50 to fix it.

I will try pushing it in a little farther and see what happens, if not its off to apple.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
tried the cd idea, it worked the first time, could just see the edge, maybe enough to get tweezers but i pushed it in again by accident, now it wont eject, its just lodged in there, £50 it is i think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
That is the one, it said nowhere that the drive doesnt support this kind of disc,
Just to clarify for others, so they can hopefully avoid the unfortunate situation that the OP is in, on page 69 of the MacBook User Guide it states:
MacBook User Guide said:
Important: The optical drive on your MacBook supports standard circular 12 cm discs. Irregularly shaped discs or discs smaller than 12 cm are not supported. These types of discs can become lodged in the drive.

Reaction score
tried the cd idea, it worked the first time, could just see the edge, maybe enough to get tweezers but i pushed it in again by accident, now it wont eject, its just lodged in there, £50 it is i think.

That sucks..It happened twice to me too..But both times I was able to use an other cd to get it out..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac aluminium. 500GB, 4GB, 2Ghz and whatever else is in there...
To be fair, it wasn't your best idea was it really, I mean putting a daft sized disk into that kind of mechanism...

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no it wasnt my cleverest moment, a friend said do us a favour, get my images off this, so i tried...

nightmare.

just hope the drive isnt damaged.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
This happened to me once, but I was able to get it out after much fishing around with a piece of cardboard from the back of packaging of some sort. (Batteries, etc.) This probably is not a good thing to do to the computer but I did get it out and the drive still works perfectly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.