Graphics Card

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB
I bought my Mac Pro in April 2009, I love it... wouldn't trade it for anything. One of the upgrades I chose on Apple's store was the ATI Radeon HD 4870, I chose that card since the machine's been used for video production (editing uncompressed 1080/24p hi-definition). However, it still lags in FCP 6 and after about 10-12 seconds of playback the image will freeze but the audio will continue. The computer itself doesn't freeze but the video playback will. Is my card not up to the task? Should I track down an upgrade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
I bought my Mac Pro in April 2009, I love it... wouldn't trade it for anything. One of the upgrades I chose on Apple's store was the ATI Radeon HD 4870, I chose that card since the machine's been used for video production (editing uncompressed 1080/24p hi-definition). However, it still lags in FCP 6 and after about 10-12 seconds of playback the image will freeze but the audio will continue. The computer itself doesn't freeze but the video playback will. Is my card not up to the task? Should I track down an upgrade?

How much RAM do you have? And the only GPU upgrade you could do that would improve performance is going to be very, very costly.
Also, how full is your hard drive and what speed is it?

OP
Sexy Patrol
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB
I have 8GB of RAM, and I have 2 Hard Drives. The Drive with my OS and Programs is 640GB with 151GB free, the drive that holds my projects is 1TB with 60GB free. I believe both are 7,200RPM drives. I'm presently browsing Best Buy's website because I'm thinking of running out to get a 1-2TB external to transfer some of my inactive projects onto since my disk space is running critically low.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
I have 8GB of RAM, and I have 2 Hard Drives. The Drive with my OS and Programs is 640GB with 151GB free, the drive that holds my projects is 1TB with 60GB free. I believe both are 7,200RPM drives. I'm presently browsing Best Buy's website because I'm thinking of running out to get a 1-2TB external to transfer some of my inactive projects onto since my disk space is running critically low.

Well freeing up a bit of space might help, but I doubt it.
Have you thought of doing a fresh install?
I would also make sure that all your drivers are up to date, etc etc.

The only other thing I would recommend is to look at this site:Village Tronic: Notebook Graphics Solutions and see if it's compatible with a Mac Pro (I know compatible with only certain MBP's) and get yourself a workstation GPU. Meh maybe it's not. It's labeled as a notebook thing, but still check it out, lol. The workstation GPU was the other suggestion, but the Mac Pro specific ones run $1,000 +

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.