• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How much did YOU pay for applecare? Share with everyone!

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I realize that there's lots of people asking about applecare, and newbies like me have no idea what's considered a good deal on applecare.

So.... I wondered if this is possible: for those of you who did buy applecare, via ebay, amazon, or any place, how much did you pay for it?

I'd love to see what's the rough prices everyone is paying, and I'm sure others like me would too. Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (Mid-2007, 10.5.8) + MacBook Pro (Late-2008, 10.9) - See Signature
... I just picked up the Applecare while I was in-line to the pay for my MacBook ...

So with my Education discount I paid $218 CAD for Applecare.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Whatever the education discount amount was for a Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
I got mine for free (MacBook / iBook version) so it's still up for grabs if anybody wants to make me an offer :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
how about £100 :)

(seriously)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.53 Ghz, 4 Gb Ram, 500 Gb HDD
The guy at the apple store gave me a free college discount, even though Im not currently enrolled in any. Very nice guy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Got my MacBook Applecare on ebay for $143. Used the 10% off coupon ebay offered everyone in November. Also used that goofy Microsoft Live 30% rebate that was a pain in the butt to figure out.

$143
-10%
-30% (if I ever actually get the rebate from Microsoft)
----------
MacBook Applecare for $86!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I paid $183 for it back in April '08.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
I paid whatever the US student discount was.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I paid $200 for my MBP's Applecare when I bought it in Nov. '06. I think it costs about $350 now, even though the computer is still the same price.

Does that mean the Macs are breaking down more/sooner do they need to make up for it with a higher pricetag, or are they just trying to make more money?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I paid $200 for my MBP's Applecare when I bought it in Nov. '06. I think it costs about $350 now, even though the computer is still the same price.

Does that mean the Macs are breaking down more/sooner do they need to make up for it with a higher pricetag, or are they just trying to make more money?

No clue, but that $350 is a little hard to swallow for insurance - more than 1/5 of the price of the machine. I'm thinking I'll take my chances, although the deadline is approaching...

Reaction score
I got mine with a college discount from the Apple store (I am enrolled in one college course). I did not even think about looking on Amazon. I looked on eBay and CraigsList but I am kind of suspicious about it as it is not a physical thing. What would I do, bring my $1800 laptop some place and have to get WiFi and put it in as they are waiting there? Too complicated for my liking.

YOU SHOULD GET APPLECARE NO MATTER WHAT! IT IS WORTH IT. I bought a MacBook Air. Yeah it is small and thin and all, but if something happens and I need to get service, it is going to cost me WAY more than $250. Let's face it, within 3 years, SOMETHING is going to happen to it and it will surely cost more than $250. Just to open it up is probably $400!

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish. Get it. Period.

My $0.02

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" recyclable MacBook Pro - Go Green!
I dont have one..Should I get one? :\

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I dont have one..Should I get one? :\

It depends. It's kind of like buying insurance. Would you rather pay something upfront to hedge your bet, or would you rather just wait and see how it fares over the long run? Everyone will answer that question differently. For me, I know I usually don't keep a computer for longer than 2 years. So, extending the warranty doesn't make a whole lot of sense.. Chances are I'm not going to have any problems in that 2 year period, so I think I'm going to opt out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.