Need Video Recording Software

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey folks I need some help. Does anybody know of any good FREE video recording software?

I don't need anything fancy...just something that can record video from an iSight camera.

What I want to do...using an older USB external iSight camera (or is it firewire I forget) connected to a desktop computer...is do some video recording & save it to my hard drive.

I think that Quicktime Pro would do what I want...unfortunately I don't own Quicktime Pro...thus why I was hoping to find a good/decent "free" video recording program.

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Photobooth maybe?

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Jing? Quick Time if you are running snow leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To the best of my knowledge, Photobooth only takes still photos...not video.

Thanks for trying,

- Nick

No, it takes video if you have Leopard or SL. I've used it before and after the SL upgrade.
It is pretty basic. Nothing fancy. But it does take video. :)

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jing? Quick Time if you are running snow leopard.

Thanks for the "Jing" idea. I was reading the info on Jing...and if I read correctly...the free version will only record up to 5 minutes of video.

As far as Snow Leopard...are you saying that Quicktime under Snow Leopard has the video recording features enabled? I'm still running OS 10.5 on my MBP..and the only way I can get the Quicktime video recording features enabled is to purchase Quicktime Pro.

That's why I'm looking for something free. By the way...I need to record hours & hours of continuous video (not necessarily high quality/high resolution)...that's why the 5 minute limit with the free version of Jing won't work.

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
P.S. here's a screen shot I just took of photobooth (with my thumb over the iSight lens). I blacked out my videos - you don't want to see my ugly mug. ;)

Photobooth.jpg

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, it takes video if you have Leopard or SL. I've used it before and after the SL upgrade.
It is pretty basic. Nothing fancy. But it does take video. :)

You're absolutely correct! I haven't "dabbled" with Photobooth enough to see that...I've only taken still shots! Thanks for the screen shot as well!:)

So I will definitely be able to use Photobooth...still...is there any chance there is a more "feature rich" (but free) video recording program that will allow hours of video recording?

I know that may be asking a lot...but the internet is a BIG world...and sometimes you never know what "little jewel" may be out there if you don't ask!:)

- Nick

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok...so I just realized that I had a older copy of iLife laying around...which of course includes iMovie.

I recorded some quick clips. What do folks think of iMovie (considering that my only other option at the moment was to use Photobooth)?

Thanks,

- Nick

C

chas_m

iMovie, Quicktime Pro (7.6), QuickTime X (snow leopard only), Photobooth ... they all use the built-in iSight in exactly the same fashion, so it really doesn't matter which one you pick.

After recording, you can edit it down (for gosh sakes edit it down!!) in iMovie.

All free and/or built-in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.