8600m GT issues.......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz MacBook Pro SR
Well I just purchased a 15.4" MBP 2.4 GHz SR with 8600m GT 256mb graphics card on eBay. Got a good deal on it and when I received it it is showing some symptoms of the GPU going bad.......go figure. It is under the original Apple warranty until June 2009.

I havent had any full graphics failure or anything like that but the screen lightly goes dim and flashes back on the bottom, I get lines that jump across the middle of the screen horizontally pretty often, and am noticing a decent bit of lag on some games occasionally.

Should I go ahead and file a AppleCare claim and send it in now or wait until the GPU goes out completely like I have been reading about. The question really is, will Apple fix the card even if it hasnt FAILED?

For anybody that has had theirs replaced......did it fix the problem with no problems later and how long did it take for the service center to repair your MBP.

Thanks a lot,
Bob

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Well I just purchased a 15.4" MBP 2.4 GHz SR with 8600m GT 256mb graphics card on eBay. Got a good deal on it and when I received it it is showing some symptoms of the GPU going bad.......go figure. It is under the original Apple warranty until June 2009.

I havent had any full graphics failure or anything like that but the screen lightly goes dim and flashes back on the bottom, I get lines that jump across the middle of the screen horizontally pretty often, and am noticing a decent bit of lag on some games occasionally.

Should I go ahead and file a AppleCare claim and send it in now or wait until the GPU goes out completely like I have been reading about. The question really is, will Apple fix the card even if it hasnt FAILED?

For anybody that has had theirs replaced......did it fix the problem with no problems later and how long did it take for the service center to repair your MBP.

Thanks a lot,
Bob

I would bring it in, don't let the problem get worst because then you have to leave your MBP with them and it's annoying if it's your only computer.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz MacBook Pro SR
The closest Apple Store is 3 hrs away. I will just send it in, but I dont want them to say it isnt "broken enough" ha ha. It is my only computer. I had to get a keyboard replaced on my MacBook and that was really quick, ship Monday get back in the mail 9 am Wednesday. I was hoping this repair would be similar even though it is an entire logic board replacement.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.