I smell something burning!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 iMac 400Mhz, 512Mb RAM,10GB HDD
I keep smelling something burning! Like friend wires or plastic or something... Do G3's get hot enough to burn their plastic? Mine at the top, where the handle and vents are, are pretty hot! It's pretty cool around the sides and cold on the bottom... The burning smell could be coming from outside my window, but I'm not positive... Ever hear any stories of the G3's burning up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
This shouldn't be happening. I would recommend ensuring that nothing is physically blocking your fan outlets. Other than that, the old adage is sort of true - where there is smoke there is fire. If you smell burning insulation, back up EVERYTHING right away, and then continue to do so diligently... smells like trouble to me (sudo pun intended ...on two levels!!).

Reaction score
This shouldn't be happening. I would recommend ensuring that nothing is physically blocking your fan outlets. Other than that, the old adage is sort of true - where there is smoke there is fire. If you smell burning insulation, back up EVERYTHING right away, and then continue to do so diligently... smells like trouble to me (sudo pun intended ...on two levels!!).
yeah ure probally right something might be on top of ure mac or blocking one of ure fan outlets. or then again u might be using ure mac too often, because on my Imac G5 it occasionally gets hot if i stay on for quite some time.
let the mac cool down once in a while, if this continues maybe ure fans arent working that good.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Some of the very early iMacs got quite warm and some had Flyback Transformer issues which would cause the screen to flash and you would hear a snap. Yours is one of the later ones and they did not have issues like that. Keep an eye on it (a nose also)! That does not sound normal. Be SURE it's coming from the Mac too. Been fooled a few times before and it was from something else.

M

MacHeadCase

I keep smelling something burning! Like friend wires or plastic or something... Do G3's get hot enough to burn their plastic? Mine at the top, where the handle and vents are, are pretty hot! It's pretty cool around the sides and cold on the bottom... The burning smell could be coming from outside my window, but I'm not positive... Ever hear any stories of the G3's burning up?

Have you heard electrical zapping sounds? Has your monitor been flickering or acting a bit weird lately?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
IceCreamMan enjoys danger, he takes unlabeled pills and uses computers that burn... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
hmmm... nobody picked up on my stupidity with "sudo pun" for pseudo? Where is mathogre when you need him? :dive:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
hmmm... nobody picked up on my stupidity with "sudo pun" for pseudo? Where is mathogre when you need him? :dive:

Opps! :ninja:

OP
IceCreamMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 iMac 400Mhz, 512Mb RAM,10GB HDD
Alright, keep the VITAMIN pill thread separate from this please? Anyway, I guess it was just one of my neighbors burnings leaves! Also, my iMac doesn't have any fans to begin with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
did you check the stove?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.