do i have some sort of virus

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Well i was facetiming my friend on my iphone 4. And i had my macbook pro on and it was just sitting there and i got the facetime failed on my phone. I tried connecting on the phone and the computer and they wouldn't connect. I restarted my router and modem and it still didn't connect. I called my internet company and they told me that there was a virus on one of my computer and that it was being transmitted to other people. I scanned my mbp with sophos, mac scan, and clam xav. All of them came back clean on all macs. All of my windows based computers are either torn apart or unplugged. Is this some sort of mac virus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Your ISP is full of bunk.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your ISP is full of bunk.

I was fighting with them for an hour. they shut it off and then i asked them what the virus name was and they were unable to tell me that.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
They are calling Facetime a Virus! :D There is nothing wrong on your end. That I am sure of.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They are calling Facetime a Virus! :D There is nothing wrong on your end. That I am sure of.

That was the only thing that was running on my network. And the thing is that i have been facetiming ever sense the iPhone came out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Tell your ISP to learn about today's technology before they claim something as a virus. If that doesn't work, I'd recommend a new ISP. Unfortunately, there aren't many good ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And even harder to find an ISP that knows how Macs operate alas. Suggest keep looking and avoid those that christen anything they cannot explain as a 'virus'.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And even harder to find an ISP that knows how Macs operate alas. Suggest keep looking and avoid those that christen anything they cannot explain as a 'virus'.

Very true Harry. My ISP here in Texas is Verizon - one of the largest providers in the US. In the last two years communicating with their support for various problems, I have only came across one tech who was a Mac user and was savvy about OS X.

Lately, however, they have made some progress. Now they provide diagnostic software which can assist with connection problems. They even have a version for OS X. Slow progress..... :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the possibility that someone has been "borrowing" your wifi connection. What security do you have on your wireless internet? You might ask them to provide the MAC, or Media Access Control, number for the offending computer. You can do a Google search for the first six digits and find the manufacturer of the network device. If it's not Apple, it's not you.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the possibility that someone has been "borrowing" your wifi connection. What security do you have on your wireless internet? You might ask them to provide the MAC, or Media Access Control, number for the offending computer. You can do a Google search for the first six digits and find the manufacturer of the network device. If it's not Apple, it's not you.

I had a password set up but it is was a rather simple password. I have an airport extreme and i looked at what was connected to it and the only things were my iphone and my macbook. I did change the password to a more complicated one right after this happend then. my security on the router is a wpa 2 personal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.