MS Office,Rosetta, and installation woes

Reaction score
So i am a little cornfused about this whole Office not installing on Lion dillema.
What i did so i knew it would work on the new refurb Mac Mini i bought was to install office 08 then upgrade to Lion (which i thought would be free but evidently refurbs dont count for the free upgrade. wasnt a big deal i had allready bought Lion through the app store so i just redownloaded) but what i really want to do is formatt and then install Lion. I have read a few posts about people haveing troubles installing over SL to Lion. So as of right now is there no possible way to get Office on a Lion running Mac? What are people doing for the alternative?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I see your bind. Office 2008 uses Rosetta as part of the install since the installer still depends on PPC code. As you've learned, the only way to use 2008 in Lion is to install it in SL and upgrade to Lion. That said, there seems to be conflicting information online as to whether or not a fresh install of Office 2008 will work in Lion - some say that it will, some say that it won't. Some say that the installer does not in fact have PPC code and is requiring the installation of Rosetta unnecessarily. When I get a chance, I might go and take a look at my Office 2008 DVD to investigate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Yo dude, read the link I posted.

I gave an installation method that skips rosetta MONTHS ago in that post ;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yo dude, read the link I posted.

I gave an installation method that skips rosetta MONTHS ago in that post ;)
Is there a facepalm or "slap oneself in the face" smilie?

This will have to do:
facepalm.gif

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And I'm sure they were thrilled that you helped them get back to homework. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.