Not Booting!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Hi all,

New to the forums, so bare with me!

Got an iMac that refuses to boot. I press the power button, it makes that recognisable tone, boots the grey screen with the Apple Logo. A few seconds later I get the spinning grey wheel, and it just keeps spinning!
Anyone got any suggestions as to what i can do to get it past this stage and complete the boot sequence? Or is it completely borked?!! :Oops:

Help!!

Kind Regards
Paslodeus

S

satrop

If you have the OS X install disk you may want to try putting that in at the start of boot up and holding down the "C" button on your keyboard. This will boot your iMac from the CD.

Let me know if that helps at all?

All the best!

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
If you have the OS X install disk you may want to try putting that in at the start of boot up and holding down the "C" button on your keyboard. This will boot your iMac from the CD.

Let me know if that helps at all?

All the best!

That's the only problem....the OS X disk is a good few miles away! Can get it....but not for a few days! Kinda need the PC before then!!
Was wondering if there was another way around it!

Thanks for your advice though satrop!

Kind Regards

Paslodeus

Reaction score
No boot!

I have a relavant problem. My second hand iMac G5 will not boot past the black screen, no startup tone while power light remains on. After a minute or so the fans become very loud, still no progress?

I managed to temporarily overcome this by switching it off and on a few times to rev up the system...but now it does not even make start up tone. Please help.

Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
If you hold down the option key during startup, are you prompted with anything? If not it might mean that your HD is gone, or just the boot partition is damaged in some way

Reaction score
nothing happens! I streamed a film through it last night, seems to be a case of just getting past the initial start up...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
If nothing appears when you hold down the option key, then the computer cannot find any partition to boot from (if you insert a bootame device like a cd/dvd/flash/external then it will show up here, as well as different boot partitions) - this is a cause of some kind of disk error, you will have to run Disk Utility from the Install disks to find out more

even worse, you might need to prepare for the fact that you hard drive might have died - sorry for bad news

Disk Utility might be able to repair any segment faults and errors ... fingers crossed!

Reaction score
The part of the system that loads the font for the splash screen is messed up. You boot with extensions off...hold down the shift key after the chime. This will run fsck repair program the words safe mode will appear. Booting in this mode turns off automatic login.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
The part of the system that loads the font for the splash screen is messed up. You boot with extensions off...hold down the shift key after the chime. This will run fsck repair program the words safe mode will appear. Booting in this mode turns off automatic login.

interesting :) always worth a shot

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.