Changing a folder image

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
I'm trying to change the images of folders on my Mac (running Snow Leopard). When I drop the image I want to change it to I just get the generic icon for an image, like below:

folderProblem.png

Any ideas why the actual image isn't been shown?

Thanks! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Early 2008, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB
What works for me is go actually open up the image in preview, select it all, and do Command-C. then go to the image file and click on the small icon up top so that it's highlighted. then just paste.

OP
hojkoff_101
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
What works for me is go actually open up the image in preview, select it all, and do Command-C. then go to the image file and click on the small icon up top so that it's highlighted. then just paste.

Worked first time. Thanks very much for that. Strange how drag and drop doesn't work.....

ah well, got it sorted now!

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Early 2008, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB
Worked first time. Thanks very much for that. Strange how drag and drop doesn't work.....

ah well, got it sorted now!

Thanks again!

Yeah, Its because it looks for either an image file or an icon file. When you drag a file, it takes the icon of that file, and puts it as the icon for the new one. I'm not sure how, but I believe you can set it up (like mine is) to display a small preview of an image instead of the file type icon. You might try hitting Command J when at the desktop, and going from there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.