Macbook Memory upgrade procedure?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 15 2.2ghz - 2gb - 8600m gt | ipod nano 8gb
Hi All,

I cant wait to get my new notebook, Im tossing up between a macbook (white, 2.16) or a macbook pro (15' 2.2).

Quik question regarding memory upgrades for the macbook. It states on the apple site that the macbook comes with x2 512 sticks. Can a macbook owner confirm how many memory modules the macbook has? Im guessing only 2 so I'd probably have to buy 2 sticks of 1GB to upgrade to 2GB and I'd have x2 512mb sticks lying around?

Also regarding Mac OSX 10.5 I have seen around the forum a problem with a slow dock with the macbook? Im guessing thats due to a weak integrated intel 950 GPU. Can somone also confirm this as these maybe reasons to upgrade to the macbook pro

Thanks

Z

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
What are you going to be doing on your MacBook? If it is graphics and audio intensive - then the MBP is your best shot, whereas if it is just word processing/email/light (very light) games/easy photo editing - then the MacBook is your best shot.

The MacBooks have two memory slots, and ship with 2 X 512MB PC2-5300 240 pin ram. It is very easy to change, and you would need 2 X 1GB PC2-5300 240pin ram.

The slow claims about Leopard are only preliminary with failed installs and buggy first releases.

Alex

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 15 2.2ghz - 2gb - 8600m gt | ipod nano 8gb
What are you going to be doing on your MacBook? If it is graphics and audio intensive - then the MBP is your best shot, whereas if it is just word processing/email/light (very light) games/easy photo editing - then the MacBook is your best shot.

The MacBooks have two memory slots, and ship with 2 X 512MB PC2-5300 240 pin ram. It is very easy to change, and you would need 2 X 1GB PC2-5300 240pin ram.

The slow claims about Leopard are only preliminary with failed installs and buggy first releases.

Alex

Hmm the big question, what will I be doing with my Mac.
Well when Im at home and dont need the portability I will have it hooked up to a Amplifier and External HD for entertainment purposes.

I occasionally do a bit of Photoshop work as I like to be a little creative at times. nothing overley serious but serious enough to use filters ;D

For portability I will be using it for work, spreadsheets, word processing, presentations/flowchart creation blah blah the usual boring work stuff!

Ohh did I mention browsing the internet too and email? but Im sure thats a given.

The only worrying aspect is the weak GPU which Im not really fussed about as long as the Desktop environment runs smooth. nothing like having to cripple my desktop effects because my GPU cant handle the task of animating my desktop! Gee isnt this sounding like a Windows Vista thread now? :Evil:

I suppose I just need to know that the macbook will handle what I will throw at it and considering I use a Athlon XP 3000+ running Vista Im sure it should handle aspects of my day to day computing exploits okay..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.