Filevault Password forgotten Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (late 2011) Latest 10.12.5, 2,4 Ghz, Intel Core i7, RAM 16G GB 1333 MHz 1TB SATA Dis
Now before you roll your eyes and send messages about what a idiot I am, just take it as read - I have already kicked myself around the block!

I decided to make my MacPro a little more secure since I was going to be taking my machine on my travels. Firstly I put in a simple boot admin password. I then went to Syst.Pref. and clicked on Fileguard to set up a p/word and was given a code which I copied and pasted to my note pad App. I also answered several security questions. I was then asked to restart and stupidly pressed the tab before writing down the verification code! I tried to interrupt the closing down by pressing the power button quickly but to no avail and it opened asking for my password.
This is the worst bit .... it wouldn't recognise it, it gave me the hint but would not accept the five letter word. I've used this simple P/W many times as the keys I use are on my left hand (saddy -German keyboard) I've tried a few variations but to no avail!

I am then asked the Verification code but of course I don't know it because it was pasted to notepad in the computer!

How can I get my machine to ask me the security questions so that I can open the machine? :[.

I can open my Windows partition so am able to read my mail but don't think it will help getting in the back door!

Any suggestions guys and girls will be very welcome .... I'm so embarrassed :[

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What version of OS X are you running? And what is Fileguard? Or... are you referring to Filevault? Because if you are, there is no way to recover the lost code which is why you should have written it down with pencil and paper not textedit or whatever you used.

OP
bumbleboo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (late 2011) Latest 10.12.5, 2,4 Ghz, Intel Core i7, RAM 16G GB 1333 MHz 1TB SATA Dis
What version of OS X are you running? And what is Fileguard? Or... are you referring to Filevault? Because if you are, there is no way to recover the lost code which is why you should have written it down with pencil and paper not textedit or whatever you used.

OSX.8 Yes I meant Filevault! Since I was asked a number of security questions doesn't this mean that the Verification code is recoverable? Would Apple support verify these security questions? Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Initially I thought there was no way for Apple to recover the password/decrypt the information. I did find this article. Pay particular attention to the sections on Storing your key with Apple and Retrieving your Key.

In comparing your description of what happened to Apple's directions it sounds like you may not have gotten far enough for the key to be stored with Apple. Look at the description carefully and if you have any doubt at all follow the procedure in the article. Good Luck.

Be sure to post back with results in case someone else has this problem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure if this is the same article referred to by Slydude but take a look at it anyway:

LINK

Your description of what happened is sketchy but I think what you didn't copy down is the key which unlocks Filevault 2 if you should forget your password. And, if like what was already mentioned, you did not store the key with Apple, your data may be lost for good if you don't have the right password. And it appears you've already tried the password several times.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure if this is the same article referred to by Slydude but take a look at it anyway:

LINK

When I follow your link and compare the url to the url for my article they are different. The content of the two articles seems to be the same though. Right down to the modification date. Looks like we had the sam idea.

I avoid Filevault because of just this kind of scenario. The problems with the frist incarnation of Filevault also made me think twice when the current version came out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree with avoiding Filevault. Even though Filevault 2 is somewhat safer than the old version, mistakes happen and then your data is gone for good. That appears to be the case for our OP in this thread.

OP
bumbleboo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

LINK

Your description of what happened is sketchy but I think what you didn't copy down is the key which unlocks Filevault 2 if you should forget your password. And, if like what was already mentioned, you did not store the key with Apple, your data may be lost for good if you don't have the right password. And it appears you've already tried the password several times.

Thanks Slydude the link was helpful but up to now Apple support not! I tried contacting Support with no joy and ended up posting the problem on their Forum website. I had an operation on my right hand today and it will be in plaster for six weeks so can't properly type with one hand, it's slow! Here is a link to read my question. The web page is locked so I can't copy and paste it! See: Titled "Obtain FileVault Verification Code under my user name "Youngbrain" Just checked the link address and it works.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/22625143#22625143

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good luck getting an answer to your question from the Apple Support Communities. Let us know if someone there can come up with an answer or suggestion. You do understand that their forums are peer to peer as ours are? Apple techs do not normally participate in their sponsored forums except to moderate them.

OP
bumbleboo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good luck getting an answer to your question from the Apple Support Communities. Let us know if someone there can come up with an answer or suggestion. You do understand that their forums are peer to peer as ours are? Apple techs do not normally participate in their sponsored forums except to moderate them.

Well I can now report that the problem has been sorted!
I did get through to Apple support and they were very helpful especially spotting that although I am in Germany and have a German Keyboard my machine's OS is in English. This meant that when I typed my password that contained a 'Y' I was in fact typing Z (they are interchanged on a German keyboard). Unfortunately when you type a password you can't see what you've typed. Immediately I typed my P/W using the Z key for the Y key my machine opened up!

The Verification Code was not necessary and now I have turned it off. The support engineer explained unless you are working in a high security environment it is advisable not to use it.

Thanks to everyone for trying to help with this problem. What a scary exercise!

OP
bumbleboo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Slydude the link was helpful but up to now Apple support not! I tried contacting Support with no joy and ended up posting the problem on their Forum website. I had an operation on my right hand today and it will be in plaster for six weeks so can't properly type with one hand, it's slow! Here is a link to read my question. The web page is locked so I can't copy and paste it! See: Titled "Obtain FileVault Verification Code under my user name "Youngbrain" Just checked the link address and it works.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/22625143#22625143

Hi Sly, see my answer to this problem which is now sorted.
Thanks mate.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ZY ZY ZY..................................

Glad you got it sorted. And buy a US or UK keyboard! ;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That's pretty slick to have a tech figure out you had a German keyboard on an English OS - my hats off to that tech.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Sly, see my answer to this problem which is now sorted.
Thanks mate.

Wow. Glad that got sorted out. I really thought your data was permanently consigned to the digital graveyard never to be seen again. The keyboard/language issue never occurred to me at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.