First Mac.

Reaction score
Probably won't go back anymore. I love this thing. Still a bit fuzzy on some things but I'll get there. If any experts have time to blow, I'd love to chat about some stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 White MacBook 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, Snow Leopard V10.6.1; iPad 16g WiFi
Welcome! I'm no expert in all things Mac, but I switched last year and I love it! I'm slowly replacing all my machines in the house to Macs. Again, welcome and feel free to ask questions!

OP
C
Reaction score
So this FileVault thing. Does that keep files associated with my log in from being accessed by other profiles?

C

chas_m

So this FileVault thing. Does that keep files associated with my log in from being accessed by other profiles?

No. That is done automatically by the UNIX-esque setup of the system.

On this forum you will find a few FileVault fans, and you will find a few people who lost data due to it. I personally don't recommend it as it slows down your machine, possibility of data loss is higher than not using it, and because there is a superior solution for encrypting sensitive data rather than doing the ENTIRE home folder, which to me is nuts unless you work for the CIA.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.