What will come in Mac OSX 10.7 - Part 1

Reaction score
What will come with Mac OSX 10.7 part 1

Apple's Macintosh operating system is one that is revolutionary and simplistic yet at the same time amazingly powerful as it is capable of executing some of the most complex task with ease and little hassle to the user. However Snow Leopard, great as it is left a lot of us wanting more because it focused mainly on overhauling the operating system to make it faster in the future however here in the present things aren't looking so good. Although many believe that apple will have a hard time improving the OS but looking at the current features much could be added to improve the user experience. What you ask? I intend to lay the whole thing out for you.

1. Advanced Spaces

Spaces on Snow leopard are great but are lacking in terms of customization and features. For those of us who use Spaces it's range of usefulness is obviously limited and sadly disappointing. Spaces could use many new features such as naming of spaces instead of the built in 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. names used for spaces by default. Also setting a custom dock for each space along with a custom desktop background and icons would allow users to have a customized space for different uses - one space for work, one for games, and one that you use most often. Spaces currently can be viewed in expose however the preview look terrible they have no dock or top bar making them look bizarre. It would be good to have a preview that shows the entire space in expose as well as an easier way to access this expose window. Perhaps some kind of Multi-touch gesture or hot key could be implemented.

2. Customizable Multi-touch

Speaking of Multi-touch gestures apple should allow the user of the OS to customize what each gesture on the track pad does instead of having every user locked into one specific action for each predefined movement. Also there should be a way to create new gestures and customize the action preformed when executed. Uses of enhanced Multi-Touch would be to enhance everyday functions such as copy, paste, mute, tab switching inside applications (ex. safari), etc. Once apple allows such Multi-touch godliness Multi-tasking will be taken to another level on the OSX operating system.

3. Advanced Spotlight

Spotlight is a great built in application however it could be better. Spotlight could greatly benefit from quick-look integration into its results as this would make finding your files that much easier. Also file operations would be nice as well, this would allow actions to be taken on a file without opening it or having to go into finder first such as moving one or multiple files to another folder, renaming files, deleting files, manipulating images' sizes or file type. Utility actions could also be implemented like start screen saver, log out, restart, set desktop background, etc. Also application integration would be much appreciated such as Itunes control, contact emailing, etc.

This is only three of the many improvements that should be coming to the next integration of apples OS. However leave your comments on what you think should be included and if you agree with the improvements above and maybe your ideas will be included in my next post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I have to agree with the quicklooik in Spotlight feature

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Lol... No offense (seriously) but.. unless you actually work for Apple and have a position which would enable you to take survey's and implement feature requests, then this is is nothing but a futile wish list. Apple only 'sort-of' ever listens to their user base, but never does anything just because their customers want something. There has to be a way to make money involved.

The more you give, the less they want sometimes. And Apple's strategy of keep em' wanting more, usually dictates that very few requests are filled in a short time span. So while I share your enthusiasm, I don't share the hope or faith you have.

Doug

P.S. You should really consider changing the title of your post. Putting a question mark at the end would make a HUGE difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1
Lol... No offense (seriously) but.. unless you actually work for Apple and have a position which would enable you to take survey's and implement feature requests, then this is is nothing but a futile wish list. Apple only 'sort-of' ever listens to their user base, but never does anything just because their customers want something. There has to be a way to make money involved.

The more you give, the less they want sometimes. And Apple's strategy of keep em' wanting more, usually dictates that very few requests are filled in a short time span. So while I share your enthusiasm, I don't share the hope or faith you have.

Doug

P.S. You should really consider changing the title of your post. Putting a question mark at the end would make a HUGE difference.

Hahaha! harsh, but true ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
What will come with Mac OSX 10.7 part 1

Apple's Macintosh operating system is one that is revolutionary and simplistic yet at the same time amazingly powerful as it is capable of executing some of the most complex task with ease and little hassle to the user. However Snow Leopard, great as it is left a lot of us wanting more because it focused mainly on overhauling the operating system to make it faster in the future however here in the present things aren't looking so good. Although many believe that apple will have a hard time improving the OS but looking at the current features much could be added to improve the user experience. What you ask? I intend to lay the whole thing out for you.

1. Advanced Spaces

Spaces on Snow leopard are great but are lacking in terms of customization and features. For those of us who use Spaces it's range of usefulness is obviously limited and sadly disappointing. Spaces could use many new features such as naming of spaces instead of the built in 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. names used for spaces by default. Also setting a custom dock for each space along with a custom desktop background and icons would allow users to have a customized space for different uses - one space for work, one for games, and one that you use most often. Spaces currently can be viewed in expose however the preview look terrible they have no dock or top bar making them look bizarre. It would be good to have a preview that shows the entire space in expose as well as an easier way to access this expose window. Perhaps some kind of Multi-touch gesture or hot key could be implemented.

2. Customizable Multi-touch

Speaking of Multi-touch gestures apple should allow the user of the OS to customize what each gesture on the track pad does instead of having every user locked into one specific action for each predefined movement. Also there should be a way to create new gestures and customize the action preformed when executed. Uses of enhanced Multi-Touch would be to enhance everyday functions such as copy, paste, mute, tab switching inside applications (ex. safari), etc. Once apple allows such Multi-touch godliness Multi-tasking will be taken to another level on the OSX operating system.

3. Advanced Spotlight

Spotlight is a great built in application however it could be better. Spotlight could greatly benefit from quick-look integration into its results as this would make finding your files that much easier. Also file operations would be nice as well, this would allow actions to be taken on a file without opening it or having to go into finder first such as moving one or multiple files to another folder, renaming files, deleting files, manipulating images' sizes or file type. Utility actions could also be implemented like start screen saver, log out, restart, set desktop background, etc. Also application integration would be much appreciated such as Itunes control, contact emailing, etc.

This is only three of the many improvements that should be coming to the next integration of apples OS. However leave your comments on what you think should be included and if you agree with the improvements above and maybe your ideas will be included in my next post.

These apps will extend OS X to do almost all that you list.
1. Hyperspaces
2. Bettertouch Tool
3. Quicksilver

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.