improve boot times

Reaction score
Hi,

i have had my MBP for about 2 weeks now and the boot time has slowed down a bit. I have run idefrag and mac janitor. That helped a little. Is there anything else i can do to make my boot times faster?

Thanks

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
use a tool like onyx to clear the clutter. caches and logfiles and such.

the first restart after you do this will take a bit longer, but subsequent restarts should be noticeably faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
What is your boot time? Macs boot wonderfully fast. Mine goes from cold power on to full desktop in about 35 seconds. I have seen folks post shorter times - mine are a bit longer because I have things like iClock and YouControl Desktops loaded. That slows things down a bit.

So, when you say "slow down"... how slow is slow?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 Ghz, 1GB
Yeah, what is your boot time exactly? My MacBook from cold start to useable desktop is honestly 19 seconds.

OP
N
Reaction score
I ran onyx and the full maitnence gets stuck at about half. I ran the rest of the stuff and it got a bit faster 48 secs. The part that is holding me up is from when i press the power button to when the apple logo with the spinning pinwheel comes up. That by itself takes 30 secs

Reaction score
Well, I ran Onyx last night, restarted the computer, shut it down, and went to bed. I just woke up and turned it on, timed it, and it took about 32s from pressing the ON button, to seeing my background, and a total 1 minute, 18s to being able to open a Finder window and open up a folder.

Sure, there were still things loading (I have quite a lot of stuff opening at startup), but I consider being able to maneuver through the file system a "Usable State." And considering any of my Windows machines take at least 2-3 before I can do anything, this is pretty fast. Although, the BIOS of my Windows/Linux box s a lot slower booting, so it's not a good comparison.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I ran onyx and the full maitnence gets stuck at about half. I ran the rest of the stuff and it got a bit faster 48 secs. The part that is holding me up is from when i press the power button to when the apple logo with the spinning pinwheel comes up. That by itself takes 30 secs

I doubt it got "stuck"... sometimes it just takes a little while... Run the maintenance again.. it Speeds to about half the bar, then "works" for a while.. leave it be, and surf the web for a bit... The Onyx icon will bounce in the dock when it's finished. Try it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

try going into the systemPref stuff, and startup disk.

startup disk. select OSX drive, and reboot. this should fix that issue right up!

Reaction score

Did you ever have bootcamp loaded on there, which you have since removed? I had the same problem after I removed bootcamp, which I have since fixed.

OP
N
Reaction score
Did you ever have bootcamp loaded on there, which you have since removed? I had the same problem after I removed bootcamp, which I have since fixed.

Yea thats what i did. How did you solve it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
yh it happend to me as well, i uninstalled bootcamp and since then at startup it seems to get stuck just before the apple logo comes up. how do you fix it....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.