keyboard plugged into monitor

Reaction score
I just bought a G4 desktop. It is my first mac. I immediatel trashed it and had to reinstall the os. Prior to my "accident" I was able to plug the keyboard into one of the usb outlets in the back of the monitor and my keyboard recieved a signal.
Now, after reinstalling my os (OSX 10.4.10) this is no longer the case. What am I missing? Is there a software issue going here, or is there a hardware issue? Please excuse me if Im in the wrong forum. Help is appreciated. Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66, ATI 1900, 5 GB RAM, 750 GB Storage
Probably some sort of support for your monitor. Must be a driver or some other support for the usb. Do a search for your monitor at the manufacturer and look for Mac support and see what they offer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Is there still a usb cable connecting your monitor to your computer? Your monitor functions as a hub but in order for it to do so you need it to be plugged into one of your computers USB ports.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Is there still a usb cable connecting your monitor to your computer? Your monitor functions as a hub but in order for it to do so you need it to be plugged into one of your computers USB ports.

True, it took a few minutes before I realized I had to plug the monitor's USB cable to get the monitor's hub to recognize my keyboard. On occasion my keyboard won't power up when I first turn on my computer. I have to turn off my monitor and power it back on for the keyboard to work.

OP
S
Reaction score
Spanking my monitor

Thank you all for your thoughts. I'm leaning toward thinking there is a driver missing, My monitor is an apple 17" with 2 usb ports. I'm also wondering if there is really enough power in the monitor to run the keyboard and that what I observed was a fluke. I'll keep researching this. I appreciate time taken out to answer. Thank you. Slick:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.