Does Anybody On This Forum Have Apple Tv!?!?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
I had it once, and i would not recommend it.

I would only recommend it if you use iTunes as your single media-storage-hub. If not you probably have to hack the unit or re - encode a bunch of videos to make them work.

In my opinion the hardware in the box is also to weak, it didnt play all hd movies i threw at it.

I would probably look at the popcorn hour box instead.

OP
nathannew2008
Reaction score
Strukt do you have any infomation on the "popcorn hour box"

I was thinking about just buying a mac mini and using that??

OP
nathannew2008
Reaction score
ok if i tell you what im trying to achieve then maybe you can advise further.
i want to be able to buy or rent movies online and store them on some kind of a system.

Reaction score
Nathan, you are in the UK, aren't you?

There isn't a huge array of options (i.e. I don't think Popcorn Hour is available here) - but it seems like TV will suit you. You can read about it at www.apple.com/uk/appletv or ask here any questions :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
When i had AppleTV i also used VisualHub to convert the videos. It worked wery good but it was a bit tedious task in my opinion. Not converting the videos, that was easy with visualhub. It was just all the waiting.

If the ATV would support more codecs from the beginning i would probably never have sold it ... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
ok if i tell you what im trying to achieve then maybe you can advise further.
i want to be able to buy or rent movies online and store them on some kind of a system.

Connect your mac to your TV with an HDMI cable. Or yes, you could buy a mac mini and then connect IT to your TV. More codec support, and ability to not only use amazon and itunes movie rentals and purchases but also any other computer feature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro, 10 Core 3 GHz Intel Xeon W, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB HD, Vega 64 GPU
I have an AppleTV, and I enjoy it for the most part. My biggest complaint is the download speed. I rented an HD movie from iTunes, and it took almost four hours to download. Personally, when I rent a movie, I would like to watch it right then and there and not have to wait hours for it.

But everything else is nice. Sync-ing with your iTunes library is easy, and I really enjoy being able to play my iTunes music through my home stereo system without having to plug in my iPod.

Sean

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
Hours??? Are u on dial up? When I rent or buy a movie it pops up a box a minute or 2 later that says you are ready to begin watching. You don't have to wait until its 100% done to watch it. Apple TV is great. I use it mostly for lots of the HD podcasts. But the movies look great on it too.

OP
nathannew2008
Reaction score
OK call me stupid but what do you meen convert my videos (i understand what this is) im not sure y i would have to do it?? do you meen items that i have already purchased on my mac??

please explain

Reaction score
Only other stuff.

Anything you get through itunes should work with no problems on an AppleTV. The files I convert are mostly my old DVD rips, created into AVI on my MythTV. Thankfully, the visualhub would let me process batch jobs, and I would do 6 or so a night.

-Dave aka Ghan

Reaction score
The Apple TV is a very useful component of my home theater for the loft. The current firmware and iTunes allows for the ATV's use as Remote Speakers. This, combined with using the iPhone's REMOTE application, makes it effortless to play media in the house from wherever I am.

I have the ATV ganged to a Mac MINI that acts as the brain of the media hub. externals are ganged to MINI, with media (movies, music, etc)

I can use the ATV, as intended, from the couch to navigate the media directly (and my wife can order PPV movies from the iTunes Store when she wants to) which is good. But I also use the ATV as airTunes speakers when Im at my desk. I'm not using the display, so that stays off, but I pop into the ATV as speakers in my MBP's iTunes, and play music while I work. And then, the third scenario, I'm elsewhere in the house but on the wifi network, I can go into Remote on the iPhone, navigate the ATV directory, and play music that way.

Now, one caveat is that this can largely be accomplished with other technologies too. This is just my integration method.

Another is that I highly recommend you use the STREAMING method of media distribution rather than sync. You will otherwise run out of space in the ATV's meager HDD very quickly...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Guess I missed this thread but I have had mine since day 1 of release no problems and its
the easiest way to show photos with my music library playing to family and friends on the big screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.