2008 Macbook Screen - Black bar

Reaction score
I have found a 2008 Core 2 Duo 2.4 ghz Macbook for sale locally. It has 2 gb of ram, so I think that it might do me well for now, to try out the world of Mac computers. My worry is that there seems to be a screen issue. I have included a pic to show the issue. There is a fairly large black bar down the screen. Would a screen replacement fix this, or might it be something else?

030fe.jpg

This is apparently as the computer is turning on. What are your thoughts?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your uploaded image did not get uploaded. However, before buying that MacBook you need to find out if it's the LCD display that's bad or the graphics controller. Attach an external monitor or TV to the MacBook and see if the picture is OK or if it still has the black bar.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You need an adapter to plug in an external display to the Macbook. You can get one at an Apple Store or Best Buy.

Like Chscag said, if the pic is normal on an external display, it's the LCD.

OP
N
Reaction score
You need an adapter to plug in an external display to the Macbook. You can get one at an Apple Store or Best Buy.

Like Chscag said, if the pic is normal on an external display, it's the LCD.

I see. If it is still on the external display, the graphic controller is the problem? That sounds like something I wouldn't want/be able to fix, correct? If it is the screen, I think that I might be able to get it working by installing a 3rd party screen, though I haven't any experience.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If it shows on External display, it's the Graphics Chip which is part of the Logic board and would cost a LOT to fix. You would need a new Logic board.

If it's the LCD, there are tutorials all over the internet and you can get one from iFixit I believe. If you do decide to purchase the machine, I will find you a take apart for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.