Internal HD upgrade compatibility

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new here. I've had my MBP for a little over a year now and want to upgrade my hard drive. I've found how to do it, now it's just picking the right drive. I don't want to buy a drive then find out it doesn't fit. So I thought I'd ask you guys. The one I'm looking at is the Seagate Momentus 7200.3 320GB. You can see it here:

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...a3f9110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD&reqPage=Model

My fear is that this drive is a little too wide. If any of you know of a great drive to put in with 7200rpm and at least 300GB, let me know. It would be awesome to have a 500GB 7200rpm, but i know it's not out, nor would it be in my price range. Haha, Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (Mid-2007, 10.5.8) + MacBook Pro (Late-2008, 10.9) - See Signature
Replacing your MacBook Pro hard drive requires some minor surgery, and it will void your warranty, but since it's a over a year old that shouldn't be a problem..

The Seagate Momentus 7200.3 is a 2.5" laptop hard drive as far as I can find out, so it should fit no problem..

The .2 version was also a 2.5" laptop drive and extremetech.com used one to replace the drive in a MBP in one of their how to articles last year, entitled "Upgrade Your MacBook Pro's Hard Drive" [Link]

Though I know many people who prefer the intructions at ifixit.com [Link]

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I have the same drive in my MBP. It's wonderful. ^-^"

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks empty_noise for the input. I'm hopin that's right.

I have the same drive in my MBP. It's wonderful. ^-^"
And crimson, which drive are you referring to? The one I mentioned or the one empty_noise was talking about? Because if it's this one, then that's the definite answer I'm looking for. Thanks.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Thanks empty_noise for the input. I'm hopin that's right.

And crimson, which drive are you referring to? The one I mentioned or the one empty_noise was talking about? Because if it's this one, then that's the definite answer I'm looking for. Thanks.

Seagate Momentus 7200.3 320GB

WD also has a 7200 RPM 320 GB but it's been out longer and I think it cost 10 dollars more. >_>? It's been getting some good reviews though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.