Safari opens multiple browsers

Reaction score
I may have posted this in the wrong place previously for which I apologise.

Macbook 13" - Mac OSX 10.5.8

Safari opens multi browsers not in current 'tabs' for sites as follows:
http://results.google-analytics.com
Google
Yahoo!
and some other odd http names.

I often end up with 10-25 or more pages open and I have to merge them all to one page, then close them one by one.

Can anyone explain why this is happening, or what is happening?

I have set private browsing, stopped all cookies, set system security preferences and safari preferences to stop all pop-ups, but this still happens.

It only just started recently, actually when I signed up with a chess website - chess.com

I am not sure if these are the result of advertising or other phishing or web ad-ons but it is very annoying. I'm also not sure if it is slowing down browsing or creating other hidden problems for me.

Appreciate any assistance or comments . advice? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 27" IPhone 4 IPad 2
I believe I have the same problem, Can anyone tell me how to set Safari to open a tab instead of a new window. I like using Safari except for this issue and I can't stand having to use the command key every time I click on a link.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Can anyone tell me how to set Safari to open a tab instead of a new window. I like using Safari except for this issue and I can't stand having to use the command key every time I click on a link.

Get a two-button mouse. Right clicking is easier.

OP
D
Reaction score
I believe I have the same problem, Can anyone tell me how to set Safari to open a tab instead of a new window. I like using Safari except for this issue and I can't stand having to use the command key every time I click on a link.

Right click on your mouse is one way and then after that you should see a "+" sign to the right side of the tab line.

My problem is unwanted browser windows opening in the background and I only see them by clicking on "Window" in the tools bar and then have to merge them all then close the unwanted browsers. :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Hi, the problem is the browser windows open without my asking and they open with these misc web pages. I am asking if anyone knows what causes this and how to stop it? :Smirk:

Um, yeah. I was answering the question I quoted. I didn't quote that question because I don't have an answer to it. Reading your first post, I was left wondering how all these additional web pages got opened. This quote ^ says they open without you "asking" for them, which is a little bit more information that your first post provided. I don't know how that can happen. Sorry.

Reaction score
I can't stand having to use the command key every time I click on a link.

Why don't you install a program like Better Touch Tool? I set it up so I use three finger tap as cmnd-click or you can use any other gesture that feels appropriate to you.

As for the initial problem, I have it too. I hope somebody knows a solution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.