• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I need a speakers adaptor for New iMac!

Reaction score
Hi,
I wonder if someone could tell me what kind of "adaptor" I need to connect my old "ball" speakers that came with my old iMac (dome-shaped one) to my new iMac. The connector on the speakers is much to small to fit.

I called the Apple store to find out where I could get one, and they suggested I go to Radio Shack. I went there, and they have NO parts or adaptors associated with Apple. So now I'm back to square one.

If I knew what size or name of adaptor I was looking for, I'd look for one online, but I don't. They have a good sound and there is no reason I should be able to connect them to my new iMac. The opening is much to big for the speakers.

Can anyone tell me which one I need or where to look?

Thank you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi,
I wonder if someone could tell me what kind of "adaptor" I need to connect my old "ball" speakers that came with my old iMac (dome-shaped one) to my new iMac.

Can anyone tell me which one I need or where to look?

This is the only adapter I'm aware of for the speakers that came with iMac G4's:

11TSVRYTX7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

IFIRE iFire(Adapter and Amplifier for Apple Pro Speakers)
Amazon.com: Griffin iFire Amplifier & Adapter for iPod: Electronics
Newegg.com - Open Box: GRIFFIN 5216-IFIR iFire Adapter and Amplifier for Apple Pro Speakers
Buy.com - Griffin iFire Amplifier & Adapter for Apple Pro Speakers

These adapters are not cheap...and in many cases are no longer available (as all 4 of the links I provided indicate).

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you for your research. None of them are in stock I see. I just think there must be some kind of earphones plug that would fit in the back of this Mac! Is this Apple's way of saying, time to buy new speakers???

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just think there must be some kind of earphones plug that would fit in the back of this Mac! Is this Apple's way of saying, time to buy new speakers???

Apple over the years has designed & used a number of unique port/plug configurations (I could easily list 5-10)...this is most likely one of those situations.

One quick & recent example would be the "Mag-Safe" plug on Apple laptop power chargers.

Yes...this is probably a situation where you have to get some new speakers...or if you watch e-Bay...you may find a used one.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 Gigs of ram
One quick & recent example would be the "Mag-Safe" plug on Apple laptop power chargers.

Yes Nick! I can't tell ya how many times having a "Mag Safe" plug has saved me! It is worth the investment Trudijane.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.