Upgrading logic board

Reaction score
I wan't to upgrade the logic board on my powerbook 12 1.5, assuming this will increase speed and power, primarily the video card which is the main thing i bump heads with. could i at least upgrade to the 1.67 with 2gb ram? or even a macbook/pro ? what about ddr2/ddr3? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
That's plugging serious money into upgrading an aging Mac.

Sounds harsh, but it is really not worth the money and effort.

You are better off banking the cash and looking around the secondhand market for a bargain Intel portable. As great as Macs are - they really were not designed for the sort of upgrades you are looking at

OP
I
Reaction score
That's plugging serious money into upgrading an aging Mac.

Sounds harsh, but it is really not worth the money and effort.

You are better off banking the cash and looking around the secondhand market for a bargain Intel portable. As great as Macs are - they really were not designed for the sort of upgrades you are looking at

you can't at least upgrade the logic board to the 1.67 from the 15 inch powerbooks? i've heard there might be success from the 13.3 macbooks? i just need to upgrade the video card really! thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
you can't at least upgrade the logic board to the 1.67 from the 15 inch powerbooks? i've heard there might be success from the 13.3 macbooks? i just need to upgrade the video card really! thanks

What exactly do you mean by upgrade? Just about everything on a Powerbooks logic board is soldered on...so there is no way to replace or upgrade anything (processor or video hardware).

Don't even start talking about Powerbooks & Macbooks in the same sentance...they are two completely different "animals".

The bottom line is you cannot do any upgrading other than ram & hard drive. If you want something better/faster...you have to purchase a newer laptop.

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
What exactly do you mean by upgrade? Just about everything on a Powerbooks logic board is soldered on...so there is no way to replace or upgrade anything (processor or video hardware).

Don't even start talking about Powerbooks & Macbooks in the same sentance...they are two completely different "animals".

The bottom line is you cannot do any upgrading other than ram & hard drive. If you want something better/faster...you have to purchase a newer laptop.

- Nick

as in upgrade the performance, improve the specs, the speed. basically streaming video/youtube and multitasking can get pretty choppy sometimes and id like to fix this! but i love the machine with a passion and do not want to replace it! its getting to the point where i wouldnt mind spending hundreds of dollars...even...one thousand :eek:! it'd be amazing to have macbook pro specs inside this machine. so that's a no on the 1.67 pb logic board, or any g4 lb?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
it'd be amazing to have macbook pro specs inside this machine. so that's a no on the 1.67 pb logic board, or any g4 lb?

Yes...that is a [size=+1]BIG[/size] "no" to the upgrading. To the best of my knowledge Apple hasn't made a laptop since about 1999 where you could upgrade the cpu or video (there were a couple laptop models that were upgradeable before 1999).

You have a very nice 12" 1.5ghz iBook there...but if you want specs as impressive as a Macbook Pro...you're going to have to purchase a Macbook Pro.:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The You Tube issues are mostly caused by Flash sucking CPU cycles. The latest version of Flash for the Power PC 10.1 is a lot better on older systems.

What Nick said is true. You really can't do anything on your 12" PB except RAM and the hard drive. No other board will fit. Everything is soldered to the Logic board.

OP
I
Reaction score
The You Tube issues are mostly caused by Flash sucking CPU cycles. The latest version of Flash for the Power PC 10.1 is a lot better on older systems.

What Nick said is true. You really can't do anything on your 12" PB except RAM and the hard drive. No other board will fit. Everything is soldered to the Logic board.

thanks Nick! well i understand I can't upgrade the powerbook, but why not replace it with some sort of logic board that already has a better processor ram and graphics card? ...a custom made one? what

wait what is that about there being a better flash for older macs? i thought macs cant use flash?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
iOS (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad) do not use flash. OSX has always used flash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Camino should help your choppy video playback. It does wonders for older Machines + flash.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.