Is Lion stable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X, Version 10.6.8 2.66GHz Intel Core i5, Memory 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3, 27"
When Lion OS was launched, I read the reviews at the time and I saw there were a number of folks claiming that it caused problems on their imacs.
Many wished they never installed it and resorted back to Snow Leopard.

What is the state of play now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Only been using it for a few hours. I had the same reservations as you but I had to install it to cure some iOS5/iCloud problems that I was having. It looks and operates great to me and everything now syncs wonderfully over wireless and the screen/desktop enhancements are excellent with a magic trackpad. I'm still finding my way around it but so far I am impressed.
The download/install process can be quite slow. Once I started to download it it launched a Lion icon into my dashboard with a status bar but after about 30 minutes it came up with an error about the connection and would I like to re-try which I did. The Lion icon then disappeared but App store still said it was 'Installing" although there was no evidence of this. I decided to leave it and I'm glad I did because about an hour later it launched the install automatically.
It is quite long winded but to be honest for £21 I'm definitely not complaining.
If you are going to do it, do a back up, run a software update, repair disk permissions etc beforehand.
One anomaly I had was with iTunes when I launched it it said that the OS didn't recognise that version and needed to update it even though I'd run a software update beforehand,it was probably something to do with my botched iOS5/iCloud install.
Your specs look good for Lion by the way...to be honest looking at the way Apple software and enhancements are going resistance would be futile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
When Lion OS was launched, I read the reviews at the time and I saw there were a number of folks claiming that it caused problems on their imacs.
Many wished they never installed it and resorted back to Snow Leopard.

What is the state of play now?

Very stable for me .... no issues what so ever.
Best upgrade ever.

Cheers ... McBie

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
It feels pretty much the same as Snow Leopard. There are a few cosmetic changes and new features that I don't really use. IE Launchpad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
It feels pretty much the same as Snow Leopard. There are a few cosmetic changes and new features that I don't really use. IE Launchpad.
Agreed. All in all I would have been just as happy staying with Snow Leopard had it not been for the Lion requirement for continued cloud based push support.

I still need to retest battery life, last time I tried it was still worse. I've ended up disabling Time Machine etc all in an effort to cut down on processor cycles.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Mine has been stable so far did the upgrade from day 1 and I removed non compatible apps before hand.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Agreed. All in all I would have been just as happy staying with Snow Leopard had it not been for the Lion requirement for continued cloud based push support.

Yes - that's what's going to push me to Lion soon also. :sigh: Probably as soon as my 4s gets here - which is likely still a few weeks away. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.